PDA

View Full Version : Most accurate heater

Mbarratt
05/20/2016, 03:37 PM
I keep getting ich in my tank and I cant figure out why. My water parameters are perfect, I even brought my water to be tested at the LFS and they even said that the water was perfect. The only thing that I think could be wrong is the temperature. I currently have 2 Aquatop 300w heaters and the temperature fluctuates from 76-79 which I know is not good. I am looking for the most accurate and reliable heater for a 140g tank and sump. I have read that the Cobalt Neo-therm heater are really good but there has been cases where they explode.
Thanks

Brieninsac
05/20/2016, 03:49 PM
Here's a good video BRS did on heaters for their BRS 160 series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vrSO8WLs_M

vhuang168
05/20/2016, 03:52 PM
What does ich have to do with temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bent
05/20/2016, 04:01 PM
What does ich have to do with temp?

This.

You have ich because you didn't properly quarantine your animals, not for any other reason.

Mbarratt
05/20/2016, 04:42 PM
This.

You have ich because you didn't properly quarantine your animals, not for any other reason.

Temperature fluctuations can also lead to ich.

Brieninsac
05/20/2016, 04:43 PM
Temperature fluctuations can also lead to ich.

Just to clarify, temperature fluctuations can lead to stress, that can lead to ich.

cloak
05/20/2016, 04:43 PM
There will always be a bad apple no matter which brand you prefer... FWIW though, those Aquaclear products are pretty solid. GL.

On a side note; my tank fluctuates between 76-85 throughout the year without any problems. It's those RAPID changes that do the damage IME.

Bent
05/20/2016, 05:02 PM
Just to clarify, temperature fluctuations can lead to stress, that can lead to ich.

The parasites have to be present to begin with. They don't just appear out of nowhere.

cloak
05/20/2016, 05:06 PM
and they can disappear without any action on your part... Crazy stuff sometimes. ;)

Bent
05/20/2016, 05:45 PM
and they can disappear without any action on your part... Crazy stuff sometimes. ;)

True story.

cougareyes
05/20/2016, 08:30 PM
No matter what the brand I found it best to run them through a controller.

FirstContact
05/20/2016, 09:18 PM
Okay, lucky enough never to have had ich so far, but I'll throw a brand name out because I like my heaters and they are about eight years old - Eheim Jager. Using two 300w heaters on a 210g system.

JWClark
05/21/2016, 05:00 AM
Just make sure, w/ the ehiem jagers, you use a controller to control temp. I use these but the dials are inconsistent. I have one that is accurate, one that is about 5 degrees off and one that is 8 degrees off.

Also, double the number that Ehiem Jager says you need. If you have one rated up to 100gal on a 100gal tank it will not hold temp if the house is much cooler than the tank. They shut off periodically while heating if on too long as a safety precaution. Use the lower recommended limit as your guide, not the upper.

As for the ich, the only way to get rid of it is to remove all fish for 4 months and treat the fish/ run through tank transfer before putting back in. The heater would be the least of my concerns at this point.

vhuang168
05/21/2016, 07:32 AM

They are not visible, which is different from they are not there. So while they might 'disappear', it's only from showing visible outward symptoms.

cloak
05/21/2016, 01:51 PM
What?

I'm not sure if you read or understood my post above, but that fish was dipped in salt and then it recovered. (twice) Riddle me this, was the cleaner shrimp cleaning the fish or was it bored? You know where it was at...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w16/jAb83_2007/full%20tank%20new%201_zpsrdtkzmow.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/jAb83_2007/media/full%20tank%20new%201_zpsrdtkzmow.jpg.html)

vhuang168
05/21/2016, 02:25 PM
Ich has different stages in its life cycle. It will fall off the fish but live in the tank in a dormant stage. Doesn't mean it's dead or gone from the tank. It will reawaken and reinfect the fish.

They can also infect the fish inside the gill plate. You can't see it but it's there.

Some reading for you.

Interesting Facts about Cryptocaryon Irritans http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2159738

DBR_reef
05/21/2016, 03:48 PM
I would argue temperature is not likely to be your problem. As far as I know, there has been no study showing that the fish we keep are caused stress by temperature swings within their tolerated range. There has been 1 study that found greater growth rates in farmed fish for human consumption when kept at a constant temperature , but I don't think that is wholly transferable. There have been other studies that show that coral are more robust if exposed to temperature swings, and only suffer with large swings outside what they regularly experience. I think the best evidence that temperature swings do little harm are the large swings in temperature that a natural reef experiences. In fact, I know several hobbyist that are attempting to replicate 6 degree temperature swings over the course of the day, as well as seasonal swings in temperature. This is partly to acclimate their coral to larger swings that could happen accidentally, partly a belief that if it occurs in nature then it must be better (a belief I don't partake in), and partly to reduce electrical bills :)

PirateLove
05/21/2016, 03:54 PM
Quit worring about heaters and take all your fish out of the tank and treat them while your tank is fish less for 72 days.

Bent
05/21/2016, 03:59 PM
As far as I know, There has been no study showing that the fish we keep are caused stress by temperature swings within their tolerated range. There has been 1 study that found greater growth rates in farmed fish for human consumption when kept at a constant temperature , but I don't think that is wholly transferable. There have been other studies that show that coral are more robust if exposed to temperature swings, and only suffer with large swings outside what they regularly experience. I think the best evidence is the large swings in temperature that a natural reef experiences. Basically I would argue temperature is not likely to be your problem.

Asking for proof through studies for a hobby that is not a profession is a near impossible task to accomplish.

Anecdotal evidence and popular trends is about all we have to go on around here unless the study was done for something else and then translated for our uses.

Bent
05/21/2016, 04:08 PM
Shots fired get reckt DBR_Reef
:uzi:

Huh?

DBR_reef
05/21/2016, 04:08 PM
Asking for proof through studies for a hobby that is not a profession is a near impossible task to accomplish.

Anecdotal evidence and popular trends is about all we have to go on around here unless the study was done for something else and then translated for our uses.

I agree. However, some ideas seem to last in this hobby without even solid anecdotal evidence. Like garlic curing ich :headwallblue: The idea that a stressed fish is more likely to contract ich is clearly valid, but there is not good evidence (anecdotal or other) that temperature fluctuations cause stress to fish. I would guess this idea comes from sellers who post a temperature somewhere in the middle of the temperatures the fish typically experience in the wild, knowing that heaters will vary significantly from that. Hobbyist then panic whenever their temperature strays from that number.

CStrickland
05/21/2016, 04:37 PM
You got reckt DBR_reef :uzi:

Is it just me or are things extra dumb around here today? Is it a full moon or something?

Bent
05/21/2016, 04:40 PM
Is it just me or are things extra dumb around here today? Is it a full moon or something?

I thought it was just me not understanding the kids "lingo".

CStrickland
05/21/2016, 04:46 PM
I thought it was just me not understanding the kids "lingo".

Well, that too old man ;)
Rekt is trash-talking for when you lose an argument, or a fight like in video games. But I mean, this isn't an argument it's a discussion of freakin aquarium equipment. So it's dumb. Like if I said I like oranges, and you were like "nah bud apples taste better to me" neither of us got rekt lol

"nogga" from their screen name doesn't really need explaining

Bent
05/21/2016, 04:50 PM
Mom must have left the Internet unlocked today...

CStrickland
05/21/2016, 04:54 PM
cstrickland i'm pretty sure that if Tom Brady saw you he'd throw a ball at your face. :uzi:....get reckt....NERD

There's lots of reckting to do over here kiddo http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6 probs more your speed

Bent
05/21/2016, 05:02 PM
There's lots of reckting to do over here kiddo http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6 probs more your speed

Let's not feed the troll anymore.

Bdial
05/21/2016, 05:14 PM

Not extra dumb. Just trollin. Looking for 50

Potatohead
05/21/2016, 05:22 PM
Just make sure, w/ the ehiem jagers, you use a controller to control temp. I use these but the dials are inconsistent. I have one that is accurate, one that is about 5 degrees off and one that is 8 degrees off.

Did you calibrate them? That red ring moves too...

I use the Eheim Jagers typically myself also but I use a controller. It's hard to argue with BRS's findings on the Cobalts though, although they're also three times the price

Bent
05/21/2016, 05:51 PM
Using a ranco with a couple of heaters is the only way outside of a reef controller.

shiftline
05/21/2016, 06:00 PM
My big tank I have two Jagger's hooked up to an apex and my small tank has a neotherm which is super stable

DavidGraves
05/22/2016, 06:39 AM
+1 on ranco controller. Cheap insurance.