PDA

View Full Version : Using Formalin MS in H.Erectus fry tank

dmcmares24
05/20/2016, 07:56 PM
I have about 30- 3 week old H.Erectus fry in a 5 gallon tank with a sponge filter. Doing 50% water changes every day and feeding them with Dans Feed enriched brine shrimp and some copepods. I noticed today that some of them (2 or 3) were scratching their backs up and down using their tails. Can I use the Formalin MS in the tank to solve this problem? The temperature of the tank is kept at 70 degrees. How long do you think that it would take? And what do you think should be their next food, Shaved mysis? Thanks in advance.

vlangel
05/21/2016, 08:03 AM
I just read where a keeper started introducing a little shaved mysis right away (at 1 week)with bbs so they assosciate it with food and eating. Some of her erectus fry would be eating a little shaved mysis by 3 weeks so I say go for it. My fry were much older before I introduced it but life gets easier when they are eating some frozen.

dmcmares24
05/21/2016, 07:09 PM
I was wondering about the formalin ms in the fry tank? Any Help?

rayjay
05/21/2016, 10:15 PM
Try this thread http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showtopic=49625&hl=formalin+fry

DanU
05/23/2016, 05:20 AM
Formalin MS should work fine. Since it is not in a clear container, you should pour it into a clear glass container and verify it is still clear with no crystals on the bottom. If it has turned to a milky color or has crystals, it has gone bad.
Dosing should be 1 ml per 10 gallons given every other day for 3 treatments.

Dan

dmcmares24
05/23/2016, 06:05 AM
Thank you Dan, You answered my question. That's a big help.