PDA

View Full Version : Alternate clownfish raising method

codyreed29
05/20/2016, 07:13 PM
I have failed at raising clownfish my first batch lasted a week and then 1 lived to day 9 or 10.

I took a break tried again and failed again.

So i'm trying another method hopefully it will work here we go.

Here are some pictures:

First the pair with eggs.http://s32.postimg.org/4i850bq85/clown_pair.jpg

Then were the babies will go I put a dimmable led strip to keep on at night for the little guys.http://s32.postimg.org/7y16cmlc5/clown_pair_2.jpg

codyreed29
05/21/2016, 06:35 PM
Tonight is hatch night guys. I have rotifers ready I'm going to stock the net full of them i also started a brine shrimp batch this morning.

I will add the just hatched brine shrimp after the catch letting the eggs hatch in tank with all pumps off.

I will try and get some pictures.

codyreed29
05/22/2016, 12:28 AM
Just done catching clownfish! I think ive got over 100. I added a bunch of rotifers and brine shrimp will add a bunch more tommorrow.

I will put some pictures.

zeeGGee
05/23/2016, 08:11 PM
Just done catching clownfish! I think ive got over 100. I added a bunch of rotifers and brine shrimp will add a bunch more tommorrow.

I will put some pictures.

updates?

codyreed29
06/02/2016, 09:58 PM
Anways the net i had them in had some algae on the outside and my sea urchin was hungry and ate thru the netting. They all got out into the reef in first two days.

I lost my rotifers to a crash.

The clownfish spawned again and i pulled the rock put it in a 2.5G and waited two hours. I think i had around 200-300 eggs. I then turned a dimmed out led bar.

I had alot of freshly hatched out brines and soak them in selcon. Feed them left the light on and went to sleep.

Next day I siphoned out the bottom and added new saltwater and more fresh brines with selcon. Day 1 first 24 hours is over and i lost around 70 so far. My guess on survivors is 40-60.

I hope to keep a few alive i turned all pumps off tonight and am waiting two hours to catch around 20 that didnt hatch last night theat will hatch tonight.

When i siphoned the bottom i got some live ones and looked at them with a magnifying glass and they had orange in there bellys so they have been eating the brine.

Just got to keep there water clean and new brines every 4-6 hours it's a pain.

I will keep updates for a log as to remeber what ive done and how old the babies are.

June 2 thursday 11pm

president89
06/03/2016, 07:37 PM
Forget the brine shrimp. I am a breeder, and i have lots of friends who are much bigger breeders than I am, and none of us use brine. Google Pickles Guide to clownfish. This will give you a relatively easy and surefire way to raise the fish. I suggest you go to walmart and try to find a black rubber tub - in the rubbermaid section. They usually have handles. If they don't have black, get something dark colored. These are the best for larvae.

shifty51008
06/03/2016, 08:20 PM
even newly hatched BBS is to big for baby clowns, Ive heard a few people get by with pulverized fish food but it needs to be a powder and the success rate is still very low. you really need the rotifers as their 1st food.

they are not eating the brine, the orange in their bellies is their yolk sac the brine is to big for them to fit in their mouth

OrionN
06/07/2016, 05:10 AM
Baby clowns first food is rotifer. You need to either buy frozen phyto-plankton to raise rotifer to feed your baby clowns for the first 7-14 days. Once to grow a little, you can gradually convert them to dry food. This is the easy, try and true way to raise clowns.
I agree forget the brine shrimp.