PDA

View Full Version : Pelagic Red Crab

kat0204
05/20/2016, 09:26 PM
Ok so while returning from a sail to Catalina last weekend, my kids decided to fish for the millions of squat lobsters in Newport Harbor here for the el nino warm waters...So they caught 18 of these bad boys....Being the sucker I am, Stupidly I said we could throw them in the QT tank....Now I have 18 crabs that I have no clue how to care for and no QT tank for my fish and corals....I have been feeding them frozen brine shrimp and phytoplankton which they seem to go nuts for. I havent been able to really find any information on keeping these in a aquarium...I have found info on how to cook and eat them though....lol....Wondering if anyone out there has any experience or knowledge on these creatures....They do seem to be very aggressive and fight each other...My QT tank has a sand bed and some extra live rock. They have kept the sand bed extra clean

LED Jack
06/02/2016, 08:38 PM
Lots of crab and shrimp are territorial and scavengers. You could probably throw a hot dog or white castle in there and they will fight over it so I wouldn't worry about their diet to much.

kat0204
06/03/2016, 09:32 PM
They seem to be doing very well...all
Of them eating healthy and swimming around.... Now my concern is what do I do if I need to qt a fish?? Can I put them in there with that many 2-3" crabs???