PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine question

Scott Sinclair
05/21/2016, 04:20 AM
Hello all
I have had a reef tank for 7 months. Didn't rush things, introduced fish after cycle complete one at a time. Unfortunately I believe ich came with a royal gramma, which shortly after got pop-eye, white spot, and died. A couple of days later, firefish also got white spots...then the 2 clowns got oodinium and died. I did try using parazoryne in the tank but it did literally nothing to help.

Levels are OK - no ammonia or nitrite, nitrate about 30ppm.

One fish left - a bangai cardinal. He currently looks OK. I have a spare 22 litre tank...Can I use this as a hospital tank for the bangai and treat with copper before any issues arise? I'll then leave main tank empty until the end of summer to ensure any parasites die out...

Thanks all

Tom39
05/21/2016, 06:38 AM
Hello all
I have had a reef tank for 7 months. Didn't rush things, introduced fish after cycle complete one at a time. Unfortunately I believe ich came with a royal gramma, which shortly after got pop-eye, white spot, and died. A couple of days later, firefish also got white spots...then the 2 clowns got oodinium and died. I did try using parazoryne in the tank but it did literally nothing to help.

Levels are OK - no ammonia or nitrite, nitrate about 30ppm.

One fish left - a bangai cardinal. He currently looks OK. I have a spare 22 litre tank...Can I use this as a hospital tank for the bangai and treat with copper before any issues arise? I'll then leave main tank empty until the end of summer to ensure any parasites die out...

Thanks all

I would forgo the use of copper treatment and use the tank transfer method (ttm)instead.

Dmorty217
05/21/2016, 05:34 PM
Leave the reef tank fishless for 72 days while taking the cardinal and either TTM or use chloroquine phosphate. New life spectrum makes it or you can get your local vet to prescribe you some form of chloroquine. (There are 3 different forms of CP)