PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious algae...my solution, yea or nay?

Bent
05/21/2016, 08:39 PM
So I have a patch of algae growing out from under a rock of zoanthids...

The fact that it's a single patch out of the whole tank, and that its growing out from under the shade of a bunch of zoas makes me question how easy it will be to kill if it decides to proliferate.

Normally, I would stick some epoxy on top of it for a few weeks to smother it, in this case I would be offing a bunch of zoas. Which isnt a big deal considering this entire colony came from a single head that hitchhiked on a snail shell.

Would you just let it do its thing, or go ahead and epoxy it?

Here it is, ignore the flame hawk photobomb.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/Tackett1980/3A28D089-8696-43BE-858A-83C03461414C.jpg

Meshmez
05/21/2016, 08:44 PM
Is it just GHA? If so I would just try to pull as much of it out, and blast the area with a baster or powerhead or whatever you use to clean off your rocks. and then just focus a little more on that area in the future. i bet detritus is getting captured in there.

Bent
05/21/2016, 08:46 PM
Is it just GHA? If so I would just try to pull as much of it out, and blast the area with a baster or powerhead or whatever you use to clean off your rocks. and then just focus a little more on that area in the future. i bet detritus is getting captured in there.

It likely is, but you would think that the Zoas blocking off the light it wouldn't have grown, that's why I'm suspicious of it. Plus nothing is going near it.

Meshmez
05/21/2016, 08:58 PM
nah, algae is good at growing... :) i have seen GHA get a foothold in the middle of zoas a bunch of times, every time i find it i pull it out and a ton of detritus comes with it.

Bent
05/21/2016, 09:08 PM
nah, algae is good at growing... :) i have seen GHA get a foothold in the middle of zoas a bunch of times, every time i find it i pull it out and a ton of detritus comes with it.

Alright, guess I have some work to do.

Thanks man!

CStrickland
05/21/2016, 09:25 PM
Zoa are a really good candidate for hydrogen peroxide. If you can get that rock out of the water without disturbing your scape too much you can just pour 1 part h2o2 to 4 parts water over it a few times or use a paint brush to sort of baste it. Steer clear of the lps though. The zoa will be ****ed for a few days but they'll come back happier than ever. Maybe then they'll shade out the algae, like you can kill its roots and put it on its back foot...

My herbivores don't really clean between zoa, maybe they know about the toxin. I try to keep them in higher flow so things don't settle on them.

seabayaquatic
05/22/2016, 03:11 PM
Take a toothbrush to it.