PDA

View Full Version : Overflow question

Gbaby19
05/22/2016, 09:29 PM
I am currently putting together a 60g cube. It came pre drilled in the bottom pane. I have an idea to run black pvc up from the floor of the tank to the top and leaving the top of the pvc open. This will be hard plumbed to the summer underneath. Then run another black pvc to the top for the return as well. Ideas? Thoughts? I have been throwing around the idea of an acrylic overflow on the back and floor.
I'll add pics in a moment.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/garyssongs/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbyp8epux.jpeg (http://s140.photobucket.com/user/garyssongs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbyp8epux.jpeg.html)
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/garyssongs/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1sobw615.jpeg (http://s140.photobucket.com/user/garyssongs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1sobw615.jpeg.html)
My idea would be to glue them into bulk heads and cover the bulkheads with sand

Meshmez
05/22/2016, 10:25 PM
do the acrylic overflow. you dont want just an open pipe in your tank as an overflow. also, i would suggest using both of the holes as drains (one main, one emergency) and then running the return up over the back wall, assuming you cant drill another hole.

Gbaby19
05/22/2016, 11:42 PM
Id prefer not to drill. For the emergency should I just have a pic pipe sitting about halfway up the acrylic overflow?

Meshmez
05/23/2016, 09:47 AM
they way i have mine set up is my main drain has 2 90 degree elbows so that the opening is facing the bottom of the tank, and i have a gate valve on the straight section of pipe where it come out from under the tank. this pulls a full siphon and i can adjust the water height with the gate valve. then i have the second hole as an emergency, its just an open pipe up about level with the bottom of the teeth of the overflow, or slightly above.

D.moller
05/23/2016, 01:25 PM
Definitely run some form of a weir or full overflow. The noise that you would have with just a standpipe will be enough to make you want to quit the hobby before you're even started. You can make one simply out of acrylic siliconed in onto the glass and run the two pipe drain. One full siphone with a valve and one emergency like was stated earlier. Your return will go over the side of drilling is not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThisGuy12
05/23/2016, 04:32 PM
x3 on running a main and emergency overflow pipes.

Also put in a overflow weir you won't get much surface skinning with just a pipe.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Gbaby19
05/23/2016, 05:50 PM
they way i have mine set up is my main drain has 2 90 degree elbows so that the opening is facing the bottom of the tank, and i have a gate valve on the straight section of pipe where it come out from under the tank. this pulls a full siphon and i can adjust the water height with the gate valve. then i have the second hole as an emergency, its just an open pipe up about level with the bottom of the teeth of the overflow, or slightly above.
That's what I was thinking you meant with the emergency
How high is your main drain?

Definitely run some form of a weir or full overflow. The noise that you would have with just a standpipe will be enough to make you want to quit the hobby before you're even started. You can make one simply out of acrylic siliconed in onto the glass and run the two pipe drain. One full siphone with a valve and one emergency like was stated earlier. Your return will go over the side of drilling is not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol I appreciate your input but I've been in the hobby for a while. A little noise won't run me off.

x3 on running a main and emergency overflow pipes.

Also put in a overflow weir you won't get much surface skinning with just a pipe.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
+1

Meshmez
05/23/2016, 06:46 PM
That's what I was thinking you meant with the emergency
How high is your main drain?

my main is about halfway up the overflow, the waterlevel in the overflow is set just slightly below the teeth, so that it doesnt make much noise as the water falls