PDA

View Full Version : Whitespot after CP?

ace33
05/23/2016, 02:18 PM
Has anyone had any trouble with spot coming back after CP?

QT'd a Vampire tang for about a month in CP. All fine so moved him to the DT and a few days later he came down in spot so stripped than tank and moved the fish and LR into a 2ft cube and treated all the fish and treated for about 28 days by dosing 13 Avloclor tablets once and doing no water changes until treatment finished. Tank has RW8 running for flow, heater and internal filter with a sponge and about 20ishkgs of LR, maybe 30. Tank has 2x24w t5s over it with very old bulbs that are on for maybe 2 hrs a day and ambient room light for the rest of the time. I have used CP before and covered the tank in towels to reduce all light but I found some of the fish don't eat enough that way. Salinity kept at normal level of 35ppt for the whole treatment.

Not all fish were showing spot when I transfered them and the vampire died on transfer as he was stuck to one of the pumps and very skinny, all others happy and eating fine. Spot cleared completely after maybe 5 days and they were fine thereafter.

Now I hooked up an external filter with carbon and did some WCs to remove the CP and a few days later the emperor angel started showing a few spots on his fins again and now the Scopas is showing some (he didn't show any the first time around).

I have reduced the salinity gradually over the past few days to 30ppt and just dosed 15 tablets of avloclor.

Full fish list is:

Juv emperor angel
Flame Angel
Purple Tang
Scopas Tang
Kole Tang
Aip eating filefish
Midas Blenny
Royal Gramma
Azure damsels x2

No aggression and all get along fine and feeding well. Damsels occasionally dance about a bit with each other but nothing major and they always have. Fish came out of a 125g

Don't think I have left anything out.

ace33
05/23/2016, 02:22 PM
There is 155mg of CP in each tablet of avloclor so works out as 10mg/l roughly.

Dmorty217
05/23/2016, 03:30 PM
Active infections should be dosed 15mg/L. The Vampire tang as you refer to it might not do well in CP? Scientific name?

ace33
05/24/2016, 02:42 AM
Active infections should be dosed 15mg/L. The Vampire tang as you refer to it might not do well in CP? Scientific name?

Acanthurus tennenti

Maybe I didn't dose enough last time?

I work it out to be 225 litres before displacement so dosed 13 tablets which is equivalent to dosing 10mg/l for 200 litres.

I have dosed 15 tablets last night which works out as 10mg/l for 200 litres disregarding the displacement for the 20/30kgs of rock that is in there too.

Should I dose more? I keep plenty to hand these days.

Dmorty217
05/24/2016, 07:46 AM
Is there sand in the tank? Sand makes it extremely difficult to get the right dosage in a tank. When I have tried to treat tanks with sand in them in the past, I have had failures even when overdosing the recommended amount

ace33
05/24/2016, 11:42 AM
Nope no substrate.

ace33
05/24/2016, 11:45 AM
Do you know of a list anywhere of fish sensitive to cp treatment? I know some wrasse are and from my experience hippo tangs. Thanks again for your help.

Dmorty217
05/24/2016, 11:54 AM
Do you know of a list anywhere of fish sensitive to cp treatment? I know some wrasse are and from my experience hippo tangs. Thanks again for your help.

There is a thread titled "my journey using chloroquine phosphate" and another one that Alprazo started and in there they mention the fish that don't do well. Pipefish, sea horse, flasher wrasse, hippo tangs for sure don't do well. I would get the mg/L up close to 15mg/L and see what results you get. If it still doesn't work you may need to get a fresh batch of meds?

ace33
05/24/2016, 11:59 AM
Thanks. I'll up the dose when I get home tonight. It's weird because it cleared up before and is now back maybe I had mistakenly dosed at therapeutic level and hadn't completely eradicated it.

On a side note do you worry about keeping the tank dark or minimal light during treatment? When I first used it a couple years ago I covered the tank and had no light for the duration but the fish got a tad skinny so now I try to keep minimal ambient light and have it light and hour or so in the evenings so we can observe and feed them properly.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Dmorty217
05/24/2016, 06:15 PM
I keep the black box LED light I have on like normal.