PDA

View Full Version : Which tank to buy

Ab129
05/23/2016, 04:39 PM
Trying to decide between a 72 gallon bow front and a 75 gallon 48X18.
Aside from price and the actual footprint of the tank, are there any advantages to one design over the other or is it just personal preference?

BigBlueTang
05/23/2016, 04:48 PM
Trying to decide between a 72 gallon bow front and a 75 gallon 48X18.
Aside from price and the actual footprint of the tank, are there any advantages to one design over the other or is it just personal preference?

Just personal preference.. Bowfront tanks look hideous to me, you couldn't pay me to have one.

roostertech
05/23/2016, 05:18 PM
I used to like curve glass.... Till I try to scrape algae off curved glass.

postshawn
05/23/2016, 05:25 PM
Easier maintenance for the non curve tank. If you need to buy other tank size specific items or just general cleaning. Not a fan of the bow front tanks either. Had a corner tank and hated that.

cincyjim
05/23/2016, 05:37 PM
I would go with the 75g as well and not just because I have one but for the room and options you'll have for rockscape and corals.

century81
05/23/2016, 07:59 PM
I have a 30 gallon bow front (fresh water). I wouldn't buy one again.
It's actually hard to look at sometimes. Feels like I'm drunk. Makes everything look out of proportion. Just my 2c.

Fish doctor
05/23/2016, 09:59 PM
I would get the 75 gallon tank. It will be easier to maintain.

Ab129
05/24/2016, 07:28 AM
Thank you all for the replies.
I'm convinced to stay away from the bow front but now I have another question.
Size wise, in my space, a 55 gallon would work better for me than a 75 but I am concerned that the 55 tank may be a bit narrow ( front to back).
Is there enough space in there to set up nicely?
I have never aqua scaped before and I know I will need to leave some room for my corals to grow and for my future fish to swim around.
Is the 55 going to be too tight?

cincyjim
05/24/2016, 08:19 AM
I never had a 55g before but you will appreciate the more depth you get with the 75g over the 55g. I'm always wishing I had more depth in my 75g.

ComforablyNumb
05/24/2016, 08:27 AM
Here's a couple of my 55g:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o169/annietim/IMG_4632_zpsf2f9mvya.jpg (http://s120.photobucket.com/user/annietim/media/IMG_4632_zpsf2f9mvya.jpg.html)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o169/annietim/IMG_4628_zpspapur2s7.jpg (http://s120.photobucket.com/user/annietim/media/IMG_4628_zpspapur2s7.jpg.html)

I wanted some space behind the reef as well for flow and the 'scaping was a nightmare. I finally got there, but building a reef in 12" of space holds some big challenges. Not recommended by me. I really wish I had put my 90g (18" wide) in there instead. That birdsnest in the upper right has had its forward facing branches knocked off by my cleaning magnet several times its growing so close to the glass. Also, its impossible for me to get my arm/hand down to the bottom of the tank on the right hand side, its that tight in there. Go with the wider aquarium.

Ab129
05/24/2016, 09:27 AM
Numb , your tank looks great, even if it is tight!
This sort of thing is just what I was concerned about.

mandarin_goby
05/24/2016, 10:06 AM
I had a 55 freshwater then upgraded to the 75. The extra room front to back was like a breath of fresh air - scaping is SO much easier.

scallywags
05/24/2016, 10:36 AM
+1 for the 75. Not a fan of the bowfront... plus its bigger.... isnt that always better??

Bent
05/24/2016, 10:51 AM
another vote for a 75. I just upgraded to a 75. I like it a lot.

Hatonhed
05/24/2016, 12:28 PM
I was looking at a 75 but a 65 popped into view. Good dimensions at 36x18x24 and with the 36 length it is fairly easy to find affordable lighting for it. Room for a small sump underneath if you wanted and plenty of room for the scape at 18". 65 seems like a fair size, not to big not to small!

uncleL
05/24/2016, 12:36 PM
I do like a 75-gallon footprint but I also like a 90 it's like having a widescreen TV

LED Jack
05/26/2016, 06:56 PM
People with bowfronts think they are better than us square tank owners!!!

WaReefer458
05/26/2016, 08:13 PM
dont get a 55. its terrible for rock work. a 55 is good for freshwater with random structure in it but not ideal for saltwater

Hatonhed
05/27/2016, 04:27 AM
I was looking at a 65 myself but I put my girlfriend in front of the 90 and guess what she decided we need to have!!

mandarin_goby
05/27/2016, 09:48 AM
dont get a 55. its terrible for rock work. a 55 is good for freshwater with random structure in it but not ideal for saltwater

55 is awful for even freshwater :/ Just too darn narrow for much of anything.

DrPheel
05/27/2016, 03:41 PM
Just personal preference.. Bowfront tanks look hideous to me, you couldn't pay me to have one.

+ 1 for the terrible viewing distortion. make sure you see one in person before pulling the trigger on a bow front

CindyK
05/27/2016, 09:14 PM
I'm purchasing my 75 gal tank this weekend, my stand should be almost finished. Anyone have any thoughts about the brand? I've read about reliability, all seem about the same. I'm having trouble finding information about the types of glass they're made from. I thought Deep Blue were all made from low iron, but reading the website...now I'm not so sure. Any thoughts out there? LFS carries Deep Blue, Marineland, and Aqueon. I don't mind spending a little more for clearer glass, but only if there's an honest difference.

LED Jack
05/27/2016, 09:36 PM
CindyK any store bought tank you would get will not have a warranty if you do not also buy a stand with it from the same manufacturer. I used to own a LFS and would have to tell my customers this and it stinks. The stands from companies like Perfecto, Oceanic, and others are straight crap and a 12 yo in shop class can build something better. Sorry for the bad news but I wanted you to know.

If your LFS tells you something different I would get it in writing.

LED Jack

Capiross1
05/27/2016, 11:32 PM
Out of the 3 I would buy the marineland, they have corner over flows and black silicone and I don't think your gonna get low iron/starfire glass unless you special order it oceanic use to sell tanks with starfire, your gonna probably have to spend another 200 just for the front and if you were gonna go that route id see about getting another hole drilled in the back so you can run a herbie style overflow because the stock stand pipes are quite loud and annoying or scratch the starfire and just run your return over the side it's a lot easier to do this in the beginning

CindyK
05/28/2016, 06:30 AM
CindyK any store bought tank you would get will not have a warranty if you do not also buy a stand with it from the same manufacturer. I used to own a LFS and would have to tell my customers this and it stinks. The stands from companies like Perfecto, Oceanic, and others are straight crap and a 12 yo in shop class can build something better. Sorry for the bad news but I wanted you to know.

If your LFS tells you something different I would get it in writing.

LED Jack
Thank you I didn't know that. LFS did steer me away from the manufacturer stands due to poor quality ( well except red sea reefer) but we are having a beautiful custom oak stand made.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Desert Sea
05/28/2016, 06:51 AM
I don't know about the other brands, but Aqueon has a lifetime warranty on their 75 gallon tanks. There's no mention in the warranty language about having to use their stand. I would not go for any of the RR tanks as the overflows take up too much real estate. I would drill the tank and install one of the slim external overflows. But once you drill, there goes the warranty.

Capiross1
05/28/2016, 08:56 AM
I don't know about the other brands, but Aqueon has a lifetime warranty on their 75 gallon tanks. There's no mention in the warranty language about having to use their stand. I would not go for any of the RR tanks as the overflows take up too much real estate. I would drill the tank and install one of the slim external overflows. But once you drill, there goes the warranty.
Good plan and I would just go look at a tank that has clear silicone and one that has black and see which one you like better

Triggerfish
05/28/2016, 10:23 AM
bow

LED Jack
05/28/2016, 10:55 AM
Desert Sea can you point to somewhere online where I can read their warranty? I am asking because if that is the case I might buy a tank from them.

Thanks, LED Jack

davocean
05/28/2016, 02:02 PM
Bows are not my favorite and it can be a pain for things like stands or screen tops, and I don't like the distortion or cleaning them.

I would also consider SCA, they are modestly priced and you can get custom drilled or overflows, and they are starfire type low iron glass

I'm not sure what their warranty is but many builders do lock you in on their stands for that.

I prefer black silicone on reefs, clear on FW, just my taste