PDA

View Full Version : Foods for young clams ?

ClownBubbaJoe
05/23/2016, 08:15 PM
Since small baby clams, 3"-4", are reliant on foods more than light to feed their zoozanthalle, what are the best foods, how to administer and how often to feed ?

mystersyster
05/23/2016, 10:45 PM
This isn't actually true. They will filter your water and be fine. This is a reef forum myth. There are a couple of good books that are written by scientists on tridacna clams.

MondoBongo
05/25/2016, 10:38 AM
This isn't actually true. They will filter your water and be fine. This is a reef forum myth. There are a couple of good books that are written by scientists on tridacna clams.

+1

they filter feed to varying degrees depending on species, but their primary source of carbon, especially at 3 - 4" will be through photosynthesis. they will adsorb no3 and po4 directly from the water, but they do not require supplemental feeding.

additionally, from what i've read the filter feeding is only undertaken once their lighting needs are met. i.e. you can't put them in the shade, then feed them to make up for lack of light.

ClownBubbaJoe
05/25/2016, 02:05 PM
I believed that also, until I viewed a video from a well known clam & captive breed coral company.

MondoBongo
05/25/2016, 05:35 PM
This isn't about belief, there are several good scientific papers stating this.

mystersyster
05/29/2016, 11:46 PM
I believed that also, until I viewed a video from a well known clam & captive breed coral company.

Well then you should have all the info you need, and no need to post.

ClownBubbaJoe
05/30/2016, 06:46 AM
What's your problem ?
Don't you understand my question ?

"I believed that also, "UNTILL".... I viewed a video from a well known clam & captive breed coral company"

Don't be such a smart***, and you should stay off forums if you can only criticize people.

mystersyster
05/30/2016, 06:29 PM
What's your problem ?
Don't you understand my question ?

"I believed that also, "UNTILL".... I viewed a video from a well known clam & captive breed coral company"

Don't be such a smart***, and you should stay off forums if you can only criticize people.

Lol alright. Have an outburst at the people trying to help you lmao.

ClownBubbaJoe
05/30/2016, 07:09 PM
You said, "Well then you should have all the info you need, and,.... no need to post"

How is that helping, to me it's just a rude comment.

mystersyster
06/17/2016, 04:25 AM
You said, "Well then you should have all the info you need, and,.... no need to post"

How is that helping, to me it's just a rude comment.

It's not rude. We gave you the info you needed. CLAMS DON'T NEED FOOD. It's like trying to explain to a creationist that evolution is a fact. I don't know about you, but I base my knowledge on scientific studies. You should do the same.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts

That link is a great place to start. Otherwise... I don't have much to say other than I'm :deadhorse:

Reef Frog
06/17/2016, 09:50 PM
Breeeaaarh Deeeeply. Exhaaaale. Aaaaahhhhh. Be like the clam. Be happy like a clam.

I don't know much about clams (except some taste great with butter). But feeding youngsters is not necessarily only a reef forum myth. Secersl books for the hobbyist by some knowledgable & respected authors state little clams need phytoplankton. But I'll read the papers later....

I am relatively certain they don't NEED supplemental feeding. Why? 'Cause lots of folks never do it and their clams grow & thrive. But I bet they're eating SOMETHING. Maybe it's that yellow water (misc dissolved organics) ?

But I do know that zoox produce carbohydrates - sugars. Energy. They don't produce fat & protein and have a mechanism to harvest the minerals necessary to build shells. Nothing, not even simple plants, much less an animal can live & reproduce only on sugar. So where do these compounds come from?

They have digestive organs too! I saw a drawing in a book! Can somebody explain why Mother Nature included this in the clam package for millions of years? Ma Nature don't make nothin for no purpose. Come on now...don't y'all think they're eating something beyond direct uptake of NO3/4 & P04? It's a fact that other bivalves eat phytoplankton & other stuff, so what makes the Trican. group any different?

I like to speculate before reading those fancy papers.

mystersyster
06/18/2016, 12:29 PM
Breeeaaarh Deeeeply. Exhaaaale. Aaaaahhhhh. Be like the clam. Be happy like a clam.

I don't know much about clams (except some taste great with butter). But feeding youngsters is not necessarily only a reef forum myth. Secersl books for the hobbyist by some knowledgable & respected authors state little clams need phytoplankton. But I'll read the papers later....

I am relatively certain they don't NEED supplemental feeding. Why? 'Cause lots of folks never do it and their clams grow & thrive. But I bet they're eating SOMETHING. Maybe it's that yellow water (misc dissolved organics) ?

But I do know that zoox produce carbohydrates - sugars. Energy. They don't produce fat & protein and have a mechanism to harvest the minerals necessary to build shells. Nothing, not even simple plants, much less an animal can live & reproduce only on sugar. So where do these compounds come from?

They have digestive organs too! I saw a drawing in a book! Can somebody explain why Mother Nature included this in the clam package for millions of years? Ma Nature don't make nothin for no purpose. Come on now...don't y'all think they're eating something beyond direct uptake of NO3/4 & P04? It's a fact that other bivalves eat phytoplankton & other stuff, so what makes the Trican. group any different?

I like to speculate before reading those fancy papers.

Hey reeffrog. Yes you're right. Evolution did give them digestion organs. This is all explained in the article I posted. In a normal reef aquarium that gets fed, there will be enough phyto, nitrate, phosphate, and ammonia for the clam to thrive. If you have no fish or livestock, adding these things for the clam to filter would be beneficial