PDA

View Full Version : Can you overdose gfo?

02tts
05/23/2016, 09:43 PM
Have about .11, down from .20 on new tank setup. Probably came from the pukani Rock.

Anyway, no livestock in the tank at this time but I am curious can one use 2 or 3x the amount of the recommended gfo dosage without hurting anything?

This will be a fish only tank - I realize it would bleach corals but this would be fish only.

I guess only concern would be alkalinity which could affect ph swing..?

Currently using Aquamaxx Phosphate Out product in a reactor. Also, I'm I correct in saying gfo does NOT leach phosphates back into the water column?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K.C.
05/23/2016, 10:24 PM
With nothing alive in the tank you really can't remove phosphates too quickly however there's a point where you're just wasting it.

You didn't say how long it took to reduce it to the level you're at and whether you're using the brand's recommend amount.

And yes, GFO can't leach back but it takes a long time for that too happen, weeks if not more of running it without replacing.

02tts
05/23/2016, 10:37 PM
.20 to .11 in either 2 or 3 days of fresh new media.
I am using the recommended dosage of 1 gram per us gallon.

I don't understand your first paragraph unless I'm misreading it. I was under the assumption the gfo does not leach back which is why preferred over pellets which apparently due leach back.

Using Hanna tester.
Waiting for new reagent packets to come in so I can test and see where it's at.

Also found that my brand new Aqua FX Octopus measures 04 phosphates on the output water - spoke to them and they said nothing they can do to eliminate but are sending me an additional canister and carbon to lower it.

So my ato water has some po4 as well which sucks.

bertoni
05/23/2016, 10:41 PM
GFO won't leach phosphate back into the water unless the phosphate level is dropped by some other technique. Using too much just wastes media, which is what I think is what was meant. The cost for a one-time treatment is very low, though. In some cases, live rock can leach phosphate for a long time. In that situation, another approach, such as lanthanum chloride, might safe some money.

K.C.
05/23/2016, 11:01 PM
GFO won't leach phosphate back into the water unless the phosphate level is dropped by some other technique.

You're right, I wasn't very clear about that. Some use GFO while reducing feeding and other sources of phosphates. They leave the GFO online after the levels dropped and suddenly it leaches some back because the tank has dropped.

mandarin_goby
05/24/2016, 10:04 AM
I learned the hard way that if the flow in the reactor is too high, the GFO gets pulverized into tiny particles that do make it into the display, choking corals :/ Just something to consider!

02tts
05/24/2016, 10:17 AM
I learned the hard way that if the flow in the reactor is too high, the GFO gets pulverized into tiny particles that do make it into the display, choking corals :/ Just something to consider!

Thanks.

Yes it's just a small tumble of the media so nothing has made it back to the tank with the exception of a little bit in the sump upon adjusting flow.