PDA

View Full Version : Tank problems

Tfrawley
05/24/2016, 04:28 AM
I have my small snowflake, marine Betta, and maroon clown in a 45 gallon., and anything I add in with them never seems to make it more than a few weeks due to harassment from the other fish. Any ideas as to what would be able to hold its own around them? I hate seeing the tank with barely anything in it.

Coachb9
05/24/2016, 07:16 AM
What have you tried to add with no success?

Tfrawley
05/24/2016, 07:34 AM
What have you tried to add with no success?

Fuzzy Dwarf lion (lost to the eel after three weeks), bicolor chromis (stressed due to Betta and maroon fighting it over food lasted about a month), and two green chromis (eel after a few days). I test my water every week and everything is almost perfect. The only thing I have in with the fish is some hermit crabs.

Tfrawley
05/26/2016, 05:43 AM
Anyone?

Dkuhlmann
05/26/2016, 07:13 AM
Sadly you're experiencing why it's best to add least aggressive to most aggressive in a stocking order. That said I have no clue how you can add new fish unless they're more aggressive than what's already in your tank.

Sounds like you just need to enjoy what you have unless you want to get rid of them and start your stocking over again. Maybe your lfs will keep them for you in a different tank while you get other fish you want started and comfortable in your tank before you add them back? Just a thought

Tfrawley
05/26/2016, 08:38 AM
Sadly you're experiencing why it's best to add least aggressive to most aggressive in a stocking order. That said I have no clue how you can add new fish unless they're more aggressive than what's already in your tank.

Sounds like you just need to enjoy what you have unless you want to get rid of them and start your stocking over again. Maybe your lfs will keep them for you in a different tank while you get other fish you want started and comfortable in your tank before you add them back? Just a thought

I have a 100 gallon I'm planning on moving them too as soon as it's finished, do you think a small humu trigger would be ok with them until the move? There's one at my lfs that I love that's about 3-4 inches

scooter31707
05/26/2016, 10:48 AM
No... they will be too aggressive for that size tank.

Tfrawley
05/26/2016, 10:54 AM
No... they will be too aggressive for that size tank.

Ok thank you, I'll just hold off for now then

BigBlueTang
05/26/2016, 03:00 PM
Plus, a 100 gallon is too small for a humu..

Dkuhlmann
05/27/2016, 04:58 AM
You have to remember that those 2-3" fish get BIG, if they stayed that size then no problem, but they don't.

I agree if you want a Humu you need to get a MUCH larger tank 180 8' is a minimum and even at that I would not put one in any tank less than 10' and 300 gals. They need room to swim and the HUMU will get over 12" in a short period of time.

You can go to Live Aquaria's website and see what tank size is suggested at a min for all fish listed. It's not perfect but certainly good for a guide.

Tfrawley
05/27/2016, 10:38 AM
You have to remember that those 2-3" fish get BIG, if they stayed that size then no problem, but they don't.

I agree if you want a Humu you need to get a MUCH larger tank 180 8' is a minimum and even at that I would not put one in any tank less than 10' and 300 gals. They need room to swim and the HUMU will get over 12" in a short period of time.

You can go to Live Aquaria's website and see what tank size is suggested at a min for all fish listed. It's not perfect but certainly good for a guide.

I only suggest that because the sites I looked at all said 100g minimum and I wasn't planning on adding much fish to it. I'll refer to LA instead now, thanks for letting me know.

cougareyes
05/27/2016, 08:03 PM
Have you considered a six line wrasse, or a flasher wrasse although tank size may be borderline. Maybe even a dottyback

BigBlueTang
05/27/2016, 10:30 PM
Have you considered a six line wrasse, or a flasher wrasse although tank size may be borderline. Maybe even a dottyback

I feel like with his losses due to aggression, it would be wise not to add any more fish until he upgrades.

Tfrawley
05/27/2016, 11:21 PM
Yeah, not gonna add anymore until the upgrade