PDA

View Full Version : GHA growing out of a frag base

Jah2707
05/24/2016, 07:45 AM
Not exactly new to the hobby but new to this problem.

Let me set it up first: A local reefer who buys and grows out corals to sell. Has about 400 gallons total and some nice even high end corals. I am just getting back into the addiction so went to his house to buy some easy corals - Duncans, candycane, mushrooms, and cap. His main display is full of color and fish and really nice besides the fact that there is quite a bit of what appears to be green hair algae.

The frags were in a different tank but all all connected to the main. They looked great and I of course bought more then I originally went to buy. Fast forward to 3 weeks and now one of the frags. Big I mean giant duncan coral has quite a bit of hair algae growing out of the base of the frag. The coral itself is happy and big and one of my favorite corals no doubt. SO big it resembles an anenome.

The question is what do I do? i don't want this crap spreading through out my tank. So far I have used a toothbrush on it during the last water change but that didn't slow it down at all. It scrubbed off but came back worse. Again no where else do I have any algea besides on the front glass and a tiny bit of what looks like cyno under a power head on the sand.

SHould I just keep swapping the GFO every two weeks and scrub it weekly with the water change? Is there anything else to do to that frag itself? Should I discontinue buying corals from him? I already had him frag me 4 other corals from the mother corals that I am / was going to pick up this week. (purple duncan, red lobo, clear/pink with green tip frog)

Here is a picture of the frag itself. This is before the algae starting showing up.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160518/23b9fc2071ea01cc905b73be0692ba67.jpg

Scottshopinc
05/24/2016, 08:36 AM
As a new comer I feel certain types of frag plugs seem to be GHA magnets. I always try to put new frags on rubble rock.

Jah2707
05/24/2016, 08:44 AM
Thanks, I need to explain a bit more. This frag isn't on a frag plug. The algae is growing out of part of the skeleton of the Duncan itself. The part that was cut and used to be inside so it turned white.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Reef Frog
05/24/2016, 09:44 AM
First make sure it isn't bryopsis. That stuff is a nightmare. GHA can be managed.

I would get the polyp to close up and spot treat it with 3% hydrogen peroxide. And then brush the base well and dip it to remove any residue. You may have to repeat the procedure. Duncan's can be susceptible to algae growing on the exposed skeleton itself which should be avoided.

leviburns89
05/26/2016, 06:24 PM
It all feeds on phosphates. Control that, you control the algae.

I had huge mats of bryopsis and HA growing on everything, organic and manmade.

Once I introduced GFO and upped my water changes it all went away.

Now with gfo and a good cuc it never pops up.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Jah2707
05/31/2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks, it just seems odd that it hasn't moved anywhere else. Only on base of one coral. I run gfo and only have small fish so don't feed much

nuttyd
05/31/2016, 09:35 AM
if it is pure skeleton no tissue at all, you can dip jut the skeleton in a peroxide dip for thirty seconds or so and that will kill the algae. Rinse with RO or tank water.

Sk8r
05/31/2016, 09:41 AM
If it's just GHA, however, it won't thrive in a seasoned tank. It'll fade and die for want of phosphates.

thegrun
05/31/2016, 09:57 AM
I would cut the Duncan off the plug, scrape and sand the skeleton of the Duncan to remove all algae and then use super glue gel to reinstall the frag onto the rock where you want it.

Animagus
05/31/2016, 10:19 AM
If it's just on the skeleton itself you might be able to dip this portion in Hydrogen Peroxide.

sixpackgarage
05/31/2016, 11:46 AM
coral dip. I have the one in the blue bottle.. that kills hair algae nicely.

Jah2707
05/31/2016, 11:56 AM
Hydrogen peroxide really worries me but I will see if I have some at home, if now to walgreens I will head, thanks for the help. I will try to post pictures.

anthonys51
05/31/2016, 05:40 PM
i wouldnt do anything its just a little gha. if your keep your levels low, and i think your are, since it hasnt spread, you will be fine. like the other person stated a good maintenance schedule with a cuc and it will go away on its own.

DarthReefer27
05/31/2016, 08:30 PM
I have been having problems with GHA also. i have my DOS doing 1 gallon water changes daily on my 120 gallon tank along with GFO in a reactor that i replace every month. the tank is only a few months old. should I be doing more than 1 gallon changes daily or should I just let it go? the GHA is really only on one side of the tank on the top of the rock. i have the AP700 so I wasn't sure if i should reduce the light since it is only growing on one side.

jayball
06/01/2016, 08:04 AM
if it is green hair algae than just reach in and pluck it out. If it is just a little and it is not long leave it there until it gets long or dissapears on its own.

GHA is nutrient dependant, it will go away when the nutrients are used up and exported

Jah2707
06/01/2016, 08:06 AM
Jayball, is that is true then this is not gha. You can not pull it off. It is stuck. I will try to remember to take a few picture up close tonight

jayball
06/01/2016, 11:34 AM
Jayball, is that is true then this is not gha. You can not pull it off. It is stuck. I will try to remember to take a few picture up close tonight

Yeah, back when I had an outbreak of GHA I let it grow long then I reached in and pluck out the tufts of it. (made a decent nutrient export)

That is my experience, there are many species that fall under our designation of GHA.

Jah2707
06/01/2016, 02:14 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160601/a56830eeafdad08808c2e9717d8c9cf8.jpg
Close up