PDA

View Full Version : DT hyposaline- how fast can I raise back up?

ReeferAl
05/24/2016, 08:07 AM
I left for a couple of days and returned to find that there had been an overflow with top-off bringing salinity down to 22 ppt. I confirmed the salinity with a refractometer. The remarkable thing is that the inverts all look alive. The corals are closed up somewhat but not dying or losing tissue. Even the urchin and shrimp are alive.

My question is, how fast can I safely raise the salinity back up without causing more damage?

Allen

JWClark
05/24/2016, 10:53 AM
I'd just top off w/ salt water until evaporation brought the salinity back in line. Generally, for fish, I believe the standard is no more than 0.003 increase in SG per day, or roughly 1ppt per day.

m1k3
05/24/2016, 11:36 AM
I have it worse than you. Just got back from a five week business trip. My wife's son was tank/house sitting. He asked one day about the skimmer producing skimmate so fast and that it overflowed a little and he had some clean up to do. I didn't think much about it, takes a lot of water to change the salinity in a 125. His idea of a little clean up and my idea must be two different concepts altogether cause the tank was at 19 ppt when I got home. To top it all off, cause of this incident and the sales price, I bought an apex gold receiving it Thursday and installing on Friday. Then yesterday happens...

I am worried about some of my coral not making it. Have ATO res filled with NSW and Apex is showing .6 to .8 increase per day. Was looking forward to spending some of my travel money on coral... Nope, not yet...

Sonyardo
05/25/2016, 06:42 PM
I agree, top off with salt water instead of Ro water until the Salinity is back where you want it.