PDA

View Full Version : Tank rasied algae eaters

Fourstars
05/24/2016, 11:24 AM
Are there any tanks raised algae eaters currently be sold? Bennies? Tangs?

Thanks in advance;)

Peef
05/24/2016, 12:27 PM
If you mean in general scooter blennies are the bomb diggity...however if you mean do i have one for sale...sadly no.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Fourstars
05/24/2016, 01:08 PM
Thanks PFat, just looking for options for tank raised grazers. I'll look and see if I can find any tank raised scooters. I thought I heard they were rearing yellow tangs now?

Reef Frog
05/25/2016, 07:47 PM
What are often called scooter blennies are dragonettes and they eat copepods, not algae.

Some other blennies do indeed eat algae but are rarely a solution to a pest algae problem. ORA sells real captive raised blennies. FYI & they would probably answer an email question.

Tank raised Tangs have been raised just recently. The process is still in development. They're not commercially available.

Fourstars
05/26/2016, 07:00 AM
What are often called scooter blennies are dragonettes and they eat copepods, not algae.

Some other blennies do indeed eat algae but are rarely a solution to a pest algae problem. ORA sells real captive raised blennies. FYI & they would probably answer an email question.

Tank raised Tangs have been raised just recently. The process is still in development. They're not commercially available.

Thanks reef frog, my daughter is a conservation biologist, and I promised her nothing directly from the ocean. I'll stick with snails and good husbandry.

tlc
06/04/2016, 02:25 PM
get a salt water molly... they are tank raised

Radioheadx14
06/09/2016, 01:57 PM
get a salt water molly... they are tank raised

Or just any molly and acclimate it to SW. they are naturally brackish and can live just fine in fresh to saltwater.

Fourstars
06/09/2016, 02:40 PM
Cool! never thought of the black molly. Thanks!

lifeoffaith
06/09/2016, 03:00 PM
Even better, sailfin molly. They are a little more difficult to acclimate to saltwater, but still really cool.