PDA

View Full Version : Need Non-Palatable macro algae suggestions.

hotelbravo
05/24/2016, 01:03 PM
This may not even exist but,
Im looking for something that is typically non-palatable to tangs, angels, and rabbitfish. I need something that attaches to the rocks or sand with a root system and is leafy. preferably with a pretty fast growth rate similar to that of most caulerpa. No chaeto please as this will be going into the display tank.

rocksaus
05/24/2016, 02:43 PM
There are non palatable macros but not that fit those descriptions. First, the only thing I can think of with growth rate close to caulerpa is chaeto. There's a reason most people find caulerpa in the display to be a nuisance.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

rocksaus
05/24/2016, 02:45 PM
Also, what makes macros unpalatable is usually the amount of calcification. And higher calcification usually means slower growth rate and less leafy appearance.

rocksaus
05/24/2016, 02:47 PM
So off the top of my head I don't know if anything that fits that description. But I can make some suggestions. Hypnea is very attractive, non palatable and attaches to rock, but it's slower and not leafy. Halimeda, shaving brush and mermaid fans are all non palatable and "root" in the sand and a lot of people like them but they aren't leafy

FinzAquatics
05/25/2016, 08:49 AM
As previously said... The rooted plants such as mermaid fans, shaving brush, halimeda and pine cone are all great options for the sand bed

hotelbravo
05/25/2016, 11:08 AM
i like the Halimeda that to me is still "leafy". Do you guys know anyone who has some that wants to cut back?

rocksaus
05/25/2016, 11:45 AM
Gulf coast ecosystems is a great place to get macros. You might even see others that you like as well. They send large portions and are reasonably priced

hotelbravo
05/26/2016, 07:57 AM
just looked at the gulf coast ecosystems page and im impressed. their business is small but it looks like they are honest hard working people not after a huge profit. I just wish they had more in stock. I will definitely be ordering a few packages from them in the near future. thank you all for your help.

Michael Hoaster
06/20/2016, 09:46 AM
My tang ate all my hypnea. The last macro standing was grasilaria hayi, which is a calcified red macro that is kinda leafy and very cool looking IMO.

So, yeah, kind of an impossible request. You may have success, allowing the plants you choose to get very well established first, before adding said herbivores. And then, always keep a feeding clip full of veggies, so they're less tempted by the local flora.

It's a very interesting problem to solve. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

ThRoewer
06/20/2016, 07:58 PM
Not much experience with tangs, but my regal angels love to eat halimeda, especially fresh "leaves" that are not yet too calcified. I would expect the same from tangs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jefra
06/25/2016, 11:51 AM
I recently purchased C. prolifera, Botryocladia sp., and Hypnea pannosa from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. I was impressed on all levels. The macro algae arrived in excellent condition, in a larger quantity than expected, in perfectly planned packaging, and I consider their pricing to be quite reasonable too.

None of my fish (group of six green banded gobies, six line wrasse, Midas blenny, and ocellaris pair) have attempted to eat any of these species, but I keep them well fed. The Tigrigobius multifasciatus in particular love playing in the C. prolifera.