PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gallon Sumpless?

Fissues
05/25/2016, 07:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

I found a job this summer that will get me enough money (I think) To start a 55 gallon sumpless. This will be a pretty nice upgrade from my bedroom 10 gallon.

I really need to make this as cheap as possible, both for the tank AND the electric bill. I'm 13 sooo... I don't think my parents want to pay the bills for a T5/Metal Halide Combo.

So heres a list of things that I have and that I THINK I need. I'm writing this because I need some help deciding what the bare minimum is. It's going to be a softie/medium light LPS tank. I'm really more of a fish guy, although I do love coral.

So here's what I have:
55 Gallon standard tank (freshwater at the moment)
Huge HOB filter (Rated for like 90-120 gallons)
Heater
Stand
Misc. Equipment
10 lbs live rock (in my 10g)
Red Sea Refractometer

Here's what I think I need:
Current USA Orbit LED-$200
two 600gph koralias-$80
80< pounds of rock-$75-100
60 pounds of sand-$60
200gallon reefcrystal mix-$40
BRS RODI unit-$150

Ok... I think that's the bare minimum. I have heard alot about a skimmer being mandatory, and I will definitely get the BH1000 when I have sufficient funds. But is it an imminent necessity? It would be very helpful if someone could answer that...

The really big question is, do you as reefers think a 55 sumpless is a good idea? I'll get a good four years out of it, before I go off to college.

I've been debating whether I should do it for awhile. Oh well.

Off to acclimate my new cleanup crew. :fish1:

jaybfresh
05/25/2016, 07:11 PM
Since you're 13, the answer is get whatever you can afford and can maintain.

But in general a 55 gallon tank isn't great because it is so narrow. Could you do a 40 breeder instead?

docstach
05/25/2016, 07:47 PM
I had a sumpless 55g for awhile and had good luck with it. It was a great tank. While the 55 is narrow, that isn't a big issue. You just have to be a bit more creative with the aquascape. I think it is more personal preference. I really liked how my 55 turned out. You could also look around for a local reef club. It might allow you to find some used items cheaper.

Fissues
05/25/2016, 08:44 PM
Since you're 13, the answer is get whatever you can afford and can maintain.

But in general a 55 gallon tank isn't great because it is so narrow. Could you do a 40 breeder instead?

Thanks for the suggestion Jay, however I don't think that would be very economically friendly.

I already have the 55 tank and stand and spending an extra $120... I don't know. Honestly I really like 4 foot tanks.

As docstach said, I'll just have to get creative with the aquascaping, and I've seen some really cool 55's out there.

The 40 breeder is definitely something to think about, I'll say that.

Thanks

Fissues
05/25/2016, 08:54 PM
I had a sumpless 55g for awhile and had good luck with it. It was a great tank. While the 55 is narrow, that isn't a big issue. You just have to be a bit more creative with the aquascape. I think it is more personal preference. I really liked how my 55 turned out. You could also look around for a local reef club. It might allow you to find some used items cheaper.

Thanks, Eastie :jester: Glad to hear your 55 went well. I honestly kind of like the narrowness of a 55. I'm not sure why, I just do. Thanks for the tip on the reef club. I've been digging around Boston Reefers for not to long now, found some useful stuff

joe_himself
06/11/2016, 05:01 PM
You can very easily aquascape a 55, just choose smaller rocks then you would if you had 18 inches wide rather than 12.. try to keep them off the back glass so you can have water movement behind and infront of the rocks.. Can be done for sure. good luck.

Dans85
06/11/2016, 08:04 PM
Keep an eye out on your local craigslist for deals on some used equipment. I'm not sure how big of a reefing community is near you, but you might find some of the equipment you are wanting for a better price then new. There are also deals to be had on rock sometimes too. Instead of the current USA light have a look at the Mars aqua lights on eBay. The basic units are usually around $90 each and can grow anything that you could put in the tank if you ever wanted to keep sps corals or nems. You would need 2 for a 55g but the cost would probably be around the same as the current fixture. If you did decide to go with a 40b instead you can get one from Petco during the dollar per gallon sale for $40 and the stand is pretty cheap as well, not to mention one Mars Aqua light would probably work just fine. Good luck with which ever way you decide and don't be afraid to ask questions. I love seeing a younger generation in the hobby.

Fissues
06/14/2016, 02:02 PM
Thanks everyone.