PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse-Safe LPS Corals

cpbartak
05/26/2016, 10:42 AM
While soft corals are generally fine, and SPS corals are generally inappropriate due to the high flow requirements, it sounds like LPS corals are more taken at a case by case basis. For instance, based on the lists at seahorse.org and fusedjaw.com, it sounds like the following LPS corals generally do okay with seahorses (whereas things like Euphyllia species harm seahorses):

Maze Brain (Platygyra sp)
Sun Coral (Tubastrea sp)
Lobophyllia (Lobophyllia hemprichir)
Cup/Pagoda Coral (Turbinaria peltata)
Fox Coral (Nemenzophyllia turbida)
Acan Lords (Micromussa lordhowensis)
Pagoda Cup Coral (Turbinaria frondens)
Raspberry Coral (Blastomussa merletti)

Even so, the lists at those two sites are very outdated (more than 10 years old). So, I thought it'd be nice to get feedback to help create an updated list. Have you personally experienced any issues with any of those listed corals bothering/injuring seahorses that would lead one to reconsider their suitability? What other LPS corals that weren't addressed on the two referenced lists as seahorse safe have you found to be okay with seahorses? For instance, can I assume that all Tubastrea relatives, like Dendros and Duncans are fine? Any experiences or thoughts about the suitability of Pectinia, Stylocoeniella, Symphyllia, Oxypora, Echinophyllia, Australomussa, Plesiastrea or other, unaddressed corals with seahorses?

teemee
07/23/2016, 09:15 PM
While soft corals are generally fine, and SPS corals are generally inappropriate due to the high flow requirements, it sounds like LPS corals are more taken at a case by case basis. For instance, based on the lists at seahorse.org and fusedjaw.com, it sounds like the following LPS corals generally do okay with seahorses (whereas things like Euphyllia species harm seahorses):

Maze Brain (Platygyra sp)
Sun Coral (Tubastrea sp)
Lobophyllia (Lobophyllia hemprichir)
Cup/Pagoda Coral (Turbinaria peltata)
Fox Coral (Nemenzophyllia turbida)
Acan Lords (Micromussa lordhowensis)
Pagoda Cup Coral (Turbinaria frondens)
Raspberry Coral (Blastomussa merletti)

Even so, the lists at those two sites are very outdated (more than 10 years old). So, I thought it'd be nice to get feedback to help create an updated list. Have you personally experienced any issues with any of those listed corals bothering/injuring seahorses that would lead one to reconsider their suitability? What other LPS corals that weren't addressed on the two referenced lists as seahorse safe have you found to be okay with seahorses? For instance, can I assume that all Tubastrea relatives, like Dendros and Duncans are fine? Any experiences or thoughts about the suitability of Pectinia, Stylocoeniella, Symphyllia, Oxypora, Echinophyllia, Australomussa, Plesiastrea or other, unaddressed corals with seahorses?

One of my seahorses stole a mysid shrimp out of an acan, got stung in the face and died the next day, so despite having also read that acans were 'seahorse safe', I beg to differ. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with scolys in seahorse tanks.