PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Treating 5 fish at once.

Dreed3043
05/26/2016, 12:05 PM
I'm one of the dummies that have never set up and QT'd my fish purchases. I've been lucky for the last 3 years, but my luck finally ran out. My juvenile Pacific Blue Tang has been infected with ich during the time I was finally setting up a QT. Unluckily for me, I noticed the white spots about 3 days before it finished cycling. None of the other fish, as of yet, have any signs of infection. The parasites have since dropped of the Tang and he, along with the others are in good health. I understand that I now have a ticking time bomb on my hands.

I have two ocellaris clowns, 1 adult, 1 jevenile. The afore mentioned tang, approx 1.5" long. A pink spotted watchman gobie, approx. 4" and a yet to be identified, damsel I believe, that is approx 2.5" long.

I'm in the process of catching and removing them from the DT to start the clock on a fallow tank. In the mean time, the QT tank I set up is only 10 gallons which scared the crap out of me thinking about these 5 being crowded in it. I would like to treat using the tank swap method as that seems to be the best for the fish and my schedule. I would love some suggestions on how to pull this off logistically.

Can I do all 5 at once using a larger container, like a pair of 32 gallon trash cans which I have? Can I do that many in that volume of water without a biological filter as long as I stick to the 72 hour rule? Can I do it in less water? What would everyone recommend?

In the mean time I am on the lookout for a 29 gallon that I am going to set up as a permanent QT tank. I will house all of the treated fish there till the 10 week fallow period is up. What size/type of biological filtration would you suggest during that period. I can use some rock during that period with the idea that I will remove it when it becomes my (one fish at a time) QT.

Does this sound like a good plan of attack? Am I overlooking anything? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I know how stupid and irresponsible my actions have been and I've learned my lesson for sure. So please, only helpful comments. I'm already beating myself up over this. Luckily, none have perished as of yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone.

jbvdhp
05/26/2016, 12:11 PM
Two trash cans will be fine. Doesn't have to be full of water. I'd probably do ten gallons. Tbh the most I've done is four fish, I can't imagine those tiny five fish will be a Problem. personally I'd do an extra transfer or two to make sure, since you're doing 5 fish. I wouldn't sweat it too much

Sent using your IP address

snorvich
05/26/2016, 12:50 PM
Two trash cans will be fine. Doesn't have to be full of water. I'd probably do ten gallons. Tbh the most I've done is four fish, I can't imagine those tiny five fish will be a Problem. personally I'd do an extra transfer or two to make sure, since you're doing 5 fish. I wouldn't sweat it too much

I agree. DT Tank should remain fallow 72 days