PDA

View Full Version : Returned to Petco

SALTYwaterDOG
05/26/2016, 07:54 PM
Today i needed some supplies so I stopped in. And I have noticed significant changes in the fish department. And thought you might be interested in seeing a few pics. Notice the state of the tank.

BTW IF you read my last thread on this. I had a similar experience this time as well. My wife was interested in a lizard and inquired about it. She has all the supplies required except a proper spectrum light. Ounce again they recommended she not perchance the animal with out it. This was not the same sales person that we had before. Clearly there has been some policy changes and I for one like them.

j_mazzy
05/26/2016, 08:02 PM
Maybe being partnered with drs fosters smith they will learn some stuff

CafeReef
05/26/2016, 08:25 PM
good on them for the advertisement, but would be better if they implemented better training rather than sales.

Bent
05/26/2016, 10:26 PM
I've always wondered why fish stores don't have more signage.

A sign with a pic of dory that says "hey guys, did you know I grow to over a foot long?" would probably deter a lot of people.

Though I'm pretty much convinced at this point that most of America is illiterate anyway. So I dunno.

Dkuhlmann
05/27/2016, 04:29 AM

A sign with a pic of dory that says "hey guys, did you know I grow to over a foot long?" would probably deter a lot of people.

Though I'm pretty much convinced at this point that most of America is illiterate anyway. So I dunno.

Just make the sing with a 12" picture of "Dori" and say that I get THIS BIG, I think the picture of a foot long "Dori" would be a big impact actually seeing the size

I'm glad to see that Petco is doing a better job with their saltwater dept

MrsReefK
05/27/2016, 05:57 AM
Way to go petco, good for them. That's one thing about LFS, 0 information besides what the employees thoughts are. Education is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CafeReef
05/27/2016, 06:34 AM

Petsmart back in the day used to do this. When I worked there we had signs that stood up in the isle with 1:1 ratio pictures of how bug some of the larger ones get (goldfish were always the shocker). granted this was about 15-20 years ago now. I know they don't do it anymore. :deadhorse1:

Noknock
05/27/2016, 06:37 AM
Signs or no signs does not change the fact that at least at my Petco the marine fish they have are near death, have ich and bacterial infections. It's like a bank robber telling you not to shoplift. I've held out hope since the partnership with DFS that things would change but sadly they have not.

homer1475
05/27/2016, 06:44 AM
My local petco used to be pretty decent, but alas the person in charge of the aquatic dept. was let go. Since then all the tanks are gross, all the fish are sick or dying, and absolutely no one knows how to handle the fish. I seen one of them sell a baby oscar to someone who had a 10G tank full of guppies. Someones going to eat well for a while then probably die when they get flushed for eating their guppies.

Bent
05/27/2016, 07:04 AM
Just make the sing with a 12" picture of "Dori" and say that I get THIS BIG, I think the picture of a foot long "Dori" would be a big impact actually seeing the size

I'm glad to see that Petco is doing a better job with their saltwater dept

Genious sir

civics14
05/27/2016, 08:21 AM
I didn't see any signs at my local Petco. I don't think I ever walked in there and seen their tank without ich. It's disgusting.

I go there for the San Francisco Brine Shrimp in 4oz flat packs for $4 when my regular LFS runs out and I need it.