PDA

View Full Version : 93G Cube redo - What fish to get?

tc2007
05/26/2016, 09:50 PM
Redoing my 93G from scratch. My previous stock was rather dull looking (Black clowns / Kole Tang / Pajama Cardinal / Dark brown goby :facepalm:)

Want to add a dash of color this time. However I don't want any trouble causing fish and want everyone to chill since this is not a big tank. This is what I am thinking.

* 4 Chromis
* 1 Fathead Anthias
* 1 Yellow Goby
* 1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
* 1 Bangaai Cardinal
* 2 Clowns (Which ones? Need high contrast)
* 1 Flame Angel
* Maybe a blenny of some sort
* Maybe a couple of docile damsels
* Maybe a sand sifter later on

SoloChromis
05/27/2016, 03:26 PM
* 4 Chromis - don't bother in that sized tank, odds are you'd be left with just one in the longterm. Plus the risk of them bringing in disease recently has elevated it seems, so not really worth it IMO
* 1 Fathead Anthias - One of my favorite fish, should be fine in a 93g cube
* 1 Yellow Goby - Perfect
* 1 Yellow Coris Wrasse - Perfect
* 1 Bangaai Cardinal - Perfect, just be sure to get tank-bred
* 2 Clowns (Which ones? Need high contrast) - Classic perculas are my all time favorite. Much more docile than ocellaris IME and you can't beat the color. I also like skunk clowns, but they're almost *too* timid sometimes, definitely the flightiest clowns you can get your hands on, think the exact opposite of a maroon
* 1 Flame Angel - Make sure the tanks established and theres enough for her to snack on all day on the rocks and glass. I have one in my 60g cube that I added after a year of the tank running and all she does is eat all day, nonstop pecking at every surface in the tank.
* Maybe a blenny of some sort - Fang blennies are awesome, I have a kamohara that I absolutely love. Also tailspots, bimacs, or linears etc.
* Maybe a couple of docile damsels - The Talbot's has been the most peaceful of all of the damsels I have ever kept, but I also had great luck with azures, ternates and Rolland's. I've never kept a tuxedo, but I hear they're great too. I have a pair of Springer's in my 60g, and although not nearly as bad as your typical blue devil or humbug, they're still pretty aggravating, temperamental fish IME
* Maybe a sand sifter later on - Avoid sand sifters, stick with conchs, nassarius snails, and serpent/brittle stars to keep your sand bed thriving

... Good luck :fish1:

tc2007
05/28/2016, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the fish advice. I love skunk clownfish too.
I didn't have good experience with Conchs. My crabs keep killing them for shells!!!
Will stick with brittle stars for coolness factor :)

On a related note does anyone keep a group of bartletts or similar anthias in a tank this size? I wonder how that will work out.

ThRoewer
05/29/2016, 03:53 AM
* 4 Chromis
I would skip these.

* 1 Fathead Anthias
I have no experience with this one - may be fine

* 1 Yellow Goby
I would make it a pair (just get two and they will handle out on their own who becomes who) and add a pistol shrimp (these gobies prefer tigers, though a randalli should work too)

* 1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
Should be fine

* Bangaai Cardinal
Get a pair or skip this one - single Banggai cardinals are boring as hell. Even pairs are not really exciting fish beyond their breeding.

* 2 Clowns (Which ones? Need high contrast)
A. percula is always a good choice, especially if you can get onyx percula.

* 1 Flame Angel
If it was me I would get a pair of these as well as they do better with a partner than alone.

* Maybe a blenny of some sort
if you plan on SPS, especially Acropora, you might want to stay clear of combtooth blennies. At least 2 of my bicolor like to scape the tissue of the smooth sections of my acros. That includes undersides as well as new encrustment areas.

* Maybe a couple of docile damsels
Chrysiptera hemicyanea or Chrysiptera parasema may be your best bet since they stay small.

* Maybe a sand sifter later on
I would skip this one as most sand sifters are kind of difficult to feed. On top of that, most sand sifting gobies prefer to live in pairs.