PDA

View Full Version : Kessil a360we or Reef breeders v2 photon for jbj rimless 45

rtague
05/27/2016, 07:17 AM
As above,which would you guys recommend?

daedalus8311
05/27/2016, 07:28 AM
Personally I like the look of kessil more, and if you get controller you can use the growth spectrum during the day and have it switch to blue by time you come home so you get both growth and color.. Think most people who complain about not growth from kessil don't utilize that

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rtague
05/27/2016, 08:09 AM
Good advice brother,thanks.

ReefWreak
05/27/2016, 08:18 AM
Personally I like the look of kessil more, and if you get controller you can use the growth spectrum during the day and have it switch to blue by time you come home so you get both growth and color.. Think most people who complain about not growth from kessil don't utilize that

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

White light =/= growth cycle with LEDs. Just set the color to what you like, and leave it for the day.

You could also check out the new RapidLED fixture that just came out. Great LEDs, nice controller, web interface, and reasonable price.

rtague
05/27/2016, 12:13 PM
Rapidled,will check them out.

ComforablyNumb
05/27/2016, 01:37 PM
Kessil claims it doesn't matter what level of "whiteness" you chose as far as growth is concerned, if you use their products. They say the color choice (10,000k - 20,000k) is only there for your own personal viewing preference. ie: whatever color level you chose, your corals will grow well.
*Kessil Logic (tm)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o169/annietim/2016-04-14%2006_19_21-Week%2021_%20LED%20Reef%20Lighting_%20Tuning%20PAR%20spread%20and%20spectrum%20_%2052%20Weeks%20of%2 0Reefi_zpssgkzxelq.png (http://s120.photobucket.com/user/annietim/media/2016-04-14%2006_19_21-Week%2021_%20LED%20Reef%20Lighting_%20Tuning%20PAR%20spread%20and%20spectrum%20_%2052%20Weeks%20of%2 0Reefi_zpssgkzxelq.png.html)

Note that the all important blue spectrum is more or less maintained throughout the color choices.

rtague
05/27/2016, 05:53 PM
Thanks everyone for replies.lighting always drives me crazy.I've used an ATI sunpower on a bigger tank in the past and had great success, but always wanted to try led on a smaller tank.now I'm thinking sunpower for the 45,I dunno.

ReefWreak
05/28/2016, 09:26 AM
If you're familiar with T5, go T5, no shame in that. LEDs are difficult too, they're definitely not plug-and-play (yet) IMO. They produce light very differently than MH or T5, and we're still trying to figure out the best way to implement them. It's complicated, but it's fun exploring and learning.

I bought the RapidLED solderless retrofit kit for my cube. It's a bit of work, and some soldering/cleaning up, but I like it because when a new LED comes out, I can selectively swap them out, if I want to dim different LEDs differently, I can do it, etc. But it's only if you like DIY.

rtague
05/28/2016, 11:12 AM
If you're familiar with T5, go T5, no shame in that. LEDs are difficult too, they're definitely not plug-and-play (yet) IMO. They produce light very differently than MH or T5, and we're still trying to figure out the best way to implement them. It's complicated, but it's fun exploring and learning.

I bought the RapidLED solderless retrofit kit for my cube. It's a bit of work, and some soldering/cleaning up, but I like it because when a new LED comes out, I can selectively swap them out, if I want to dim different LEDs differently, I can do it, etc. But it's only if you like DIY.

Thanks bud,I'm beginning to think the dialing in of the led would drive me crazy,I'd never be satisfied,I was just curious and wanted to the kessil a go,after consideration and advice I'll probably go with a 6 bulb sun power ,thanks again.

ComforablyNumb
05/28/2016, 04:19 PM
6 bulbs replaced every yr = $120
Over 5 yr period = $600
(+ no shimmer)

Kessil = $0 over 5 yrs

"I'm beginning to think the dialing in of the led would drive me crazy" - Kessil takes care of that too. No dialing in required, just set for your visual preference. Plus you can do sunrise, sunset simulation...with full color /intensity control throughout the day, all easily programmed with Kessil controller to repeat every day. Set it and forget it.

rtague
05/31/2016, 11:27 AM
6 bulbs replaced every yr = $120
Over 5 yr period = $600
(+ no shimmer)

Kessil = $0 over 5 yrs

"I'm beginning to think the dialing in of the led would drive me crazy" - Kessil takes care of that too. No dialing in required, just set for your visual preference. Plus you can do sunrise, sunset simulation...with full color /intensity control throughout the day, all easily programmed with Kessil controller to repeat every day. Set it and forget it.

Thanks bud.appreciate the input:thumbsup:,but I've read of people having difficulty dialing in the correct intensity to color spectrum.that seems to be where people fail, with leds, I'm certainly no expert so please disregard if this isn't the case.

solitude127
05/31/2016, 11:31 AM
What type of corals are you planning on keeping in the tank? IMO, I don't think you'll get enough spread with the Kessil to grow High light demanding corals on the edges.