PDA

View Full Version : My Clownfish May Have Ich (or Something Else)

LucidGoblin
05/27/2016, 09:47 AM
About a week ago, I noticed a tiny white speck, a little bit bigger than a grain of salt, hanging off my clownfish's anal fin. It disappeared, the fin look slightly damaged in the spot. A few days later, another speck appeared on his pectoral fin. It vanished, again the fin looks slightly damaged. Today, I see another white spot on a pelvic fin, and translucent white spots on his tail.
To anyone who can answer the following questions, I would be most grateful.
What is the disease, and was it caused by putting the fish in a tank that wasn't fully cycled?
He was the only fish in the tank, with an anemone, and I removed him after I saw the spots on his tail. How do I make the tank safe for fish again? (It still has the anemone and some coral in it.)

dweber618
05/27/2016, 10:07 AM
Sounds like it could be ich. Putting it in the tank that wasn't cycled wasn't your problem - this fish probably already had it whenever you bought it. To make your display safe again leave it fallow (no fish) for 72 days minimum. You will need to treat your Clownfish (tank transfer method is good) and continue to monitor the fish during the fallow period. You should quarantine all new fish and treat them proactively to avoid introducing disease into your main tank again.

Also, read the stickies at the top of the fish disease forum.