PDA

View Full Version : Bearing removal

riverview
05/27/2016, 01:56 PM
How do you safely remove the bearing that's in the motor block?
I have a red dragon 1500
tnx jasper

slief
05/27/2016, 10:08 PM
The beading is held in place by an o-ring. You can either pry it out with a small flathead screwdriver or take a long paper clip and make a short bend in the tip to form a very tight hook. The bend needs to be tight enough to fit into the hole. Slip the paperclip into the hole and pull it straight out. Another way is to use a long tip needle nose pliers but I prefer the paper clip trick or a small screw driver. See post 2 of this thread for some pictures.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2573406

riverview
05/28/2016, 10:00 AM
Thank you
ordered new bearing
everything looks ok but pump turns on for 1 second then stops could the bearing be the problem?

slief
05/28/2016, 10:11 AM
Thank you
ordered new bearing
everything looks ok but pump turns on for 1 second then stops could the bearing be the problem?

It certainly could be. I would read the last paragraph of post 1 in thread I linked to above and clean the inside of the motor, impeller and bearing well. You need to insure that the hole in the bearing is spotless and the end of the shaft is clean and smooth. If there is any friction between the bearing and shaft, that will cause the motor to stall. There is another bearing between the needle wheel and magnet which is captured by the shield plate. That also need to rotate without resistance. This one doesn't come off the shaft but a vinegar bath is all that typically needs. The shield between the needle wheel and magnet should rotate shoots without resistance and there should be some play in it. I will also point out that not cleaning the baring and impeller frequently enough is the number 1 cause of block failures.

riverview
06/01/2016, 02:20 PM
Whats the correct replacement pump for the bubbleking 1500?
Just need the block
tnx jasper

slief
06/01/2016, 02:29 PM
There are different blocks for different skimmers This is the correct replacement block for the Alpha skimmers as well as the Double Cone skimmers. It includes the white PVC base and a new bearing that is pre-installed into the block.
http://royalexclusiv.com/Spare-Parts/Mini-Red-Dragon-Red-Dragon-1-BK/motor-blocks/part-motor-block-for-Bubble-King-Double-Cone-130-250::123.html