PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of a Cube Tank

century81
05/27/2016, 02:24 PM
The one tank that really appeals to me is a 60G Cube.
I saw Melevs Reef 60G Cube and really liked the look of it.
So I have had this tank in my mind since I've begun my research.

My question is for the reefers that own one....what are the pros and cons of such a tank? Would really like some first hand experience before pursuing it any further.

Thanks

Emil

CafeReef
05/27/2016, 02:28 PM
Pros:
-depth without the footprint
-cheaper equipment (lighting in particular) since you don't have the footprint to cover.
-cheaper sandbed and rock as you simply cannot have as much as you would in a wider tank.

Cons:
-not enough footprint for fish like tangs or angels, with a cube (less than 90) you are
-limited to basically nano fish
-sump limitations (this is a big one) as with a 24x24x24 60 cube, you will have to be creative with your sump. I have a 50 cube and my sump is great, but I recognize it's limitations.

there are more for both. I love my cube, but I simply couldnt support a larger tank at the present.

GimpyFin
05/27/2016, 02:35 PM
I had a 93 cube for a while. The depth/dimension of a cube tank is cool looking. The biggest downfall I found was that having a square stand really limits your sump/equipment options under the tank.

century81
05/27/2016, 02:40 PM
I had a 93 cube for a while. The depth/dimension of a cube tank is cool looking. The biggest downfall I found was that having a square stand really limits your sump/equipment options under the tank.

So far, Im planning on having the sump on the other side of the wall.
As the tank will reside in my basement, the laundry room is right behind where in the tank will be. Drilling and plumbing should not be a problem (knock on wood).

GimpyFin
05/27/2016, 03:08 PM
That's good news. I wish I had a separate room/area I could keep all my filtration in. Definitely opens up your options.

billdogg
05/27/2016, 03:56 PM
I ran a 60g cube for 22 years. I really liked that tank a lot. Sure, it does have some stocking limitations, but I prefer smaller fish anyway. I used a dual biowheel filter and a canister for filtration, so the area underneath was not such a big issue. If you are going through a wall for the sump you will have a very nice setup.

Post Pics!

century81
05/28/2016, 10:15 AM
I ran a 60g cube for 22 years. I really liked that tank a lot. Sure, it does have some stocking limitations, but I prefer smaller fish anyway. I used a dual biowheel filter and a canister for filtration, so the area underneath was not such a big issue. If you are going through a wall for the sump you will have a very nice setup.

Post Pics!

Still a long way away from starting the build but will definitely post pictures. :D

farfromsea
05/28/2016, 11:00 AM
IMO one other limitation of a cube is your aquascaping. Difficult to create negative space in the smaller footprint; not many places to go except up

billdogg
05/28/2016, 02:06 PM
Here's a picture of mine. I took a piece of pumice that weighed in at ~#120 and carved it into what you see, full of swim-throughs, over hangs, and tunnels. The only problem I had with it is that since pumice floats (whoda thunk a rock would float) I had to silicone it to the bottom. It made catching fish a nightmare.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/billdogg_photos/Aquarium%20Shots/_MG_1623.jpg (http://s289.photobucket.com/user/billdogg_photos/media/Aquarium%20Shots/_MG_1623.jpg.html)

davocean
05/28/2016, 02:15 PM
Among other things mentioned my biggest issue is scaping, I too like to play w/ scape more than just doing a solo island, but I did like having my cube as a nem/clown specific species tank, for that I think they are ideal.

Splashing water on rimless grows old also, and if you have jumpers and need screen tops it slightly robs the clean modern look

mullerjd
05/28/2016, 07:28 PM
I would agree that aquascaping and fitting a sump under the tank are the two biggest negatives. I have a 60 cube and have struggled with fitting a sump underneath. Working on building a separate cabinet now to hold my sump.

century81
05/30/2016, 06:24 PM
Ya the scraping part is a bit of a bummer but I think I can deal with it.
I kinda like how it limits me to fish, it just means I won't be tempted to go overboard and to keep it simple.

BigEZ77
05/30/2016, 06:43 PM
"-not enough footprint for fish like tangs or angels"

Case closed ;) My first tank has been almost a cube and rimless, I am now planning to keep that for corals and smaller fish and will be working on building a large FOWLR just for the purpose of keeping larger fish.

jraker
05/30/2016, 06:58 PM
There are some cool cube sumps like this one (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ruby-cube-20-trigger-systems.html) for cube tanks. Other than that, a separate area for a sump would be your other option.

farfromsea
05/30/2016, 07:38 PM
On my 55 gallon cube there is a 29g (long/rectangular) sump. It sticks out of the back of the stand about 6 inches but you can't tell. I keep it against a wall. So I think there might be options to keep a sump underneath as long as you have a decent stand

Reeflife916
05/30/2016, 08:24 PM
Without a doubt, the biggest con for me was choosing and fitting a sump. I custom built my stand for my 49 cube (26x26x18) and I made it work to fit my eshopps rs100 in there. Barely. Add an oversized skimmer, bp reactor and ato reservoir and it is a tight fit to say the least. But my goal here was to have everything in the stand as it is in my front room. Besides that I love the cube shape and the depth it gives you with a small foot print.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/6c1c51860e9c0ad2e2f11f2bba3a4742.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/e0f0527e737707082a1b0634345002b8.jpg