PDA

View Full Version : Rinse dry rock outside with hose?

Chicago
05/28/2016, 07:24 AM
Ok so I pulled half my rock that was covered in turf algae. Let it dry out in back yard and had to power drill it with steel brush to scrape it off. Rock is dry and covered in dust eat. Three twenty gallon garbage cans garbage cans full. So I wa going to rinse in rodi water. But wondering has anyone done a pre wash with de chlorinated tap water then wash in rodi water. . .?

StrikerKratos
05/28/2016, 07:36 AM
Personally, I'd be worried about other toxins such as copper, lead, prescription drugs, etc... absorbing into the rock from tap water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicago
05/28/2016, 07:42 AM
My thoughts also. Maybe rainwater for a few days. Or just use rodi and be safe.

JohnnyHildo
05/28/2016, 08:10 AM
i try to keep any non-RO water out of my tank whenever possible. metals, chemicals and phosphates are the reasons why.
if i had to rinse my rock with tap water then i would soak it all in RO water right after to dilute anything that could be holding within the rock.

billdogg
05/29/2016, 08:50 AM
If it were mine, I would just power wash it all to remove any organic material and then use it. The panic that seems to arise from what is actually very slight trace amounts of potential contaminates (if any) kinda cracks me up. By the time you get done curing it so that it is ready for use it (any contaminate) will be at such a dilute amount as to be undetectable.

jm.02

Ron Reefman
06/02/2016, 05:05 AM
I'm 100% with billdogg.

Wash the rock with any kind of water you want. Even soak it in vinegar or acid. But before I put it back in a tank, I'd soak it in some new saltwater in a clean container for a few days. If you are really concerned, you could test water parameters before adding the rocks and then after soaking them to see if there are any 'real' issues.

The idea of any serious contaminates like copper, lead and drugs being added to your rock from washing it with a garden hose is laughable IMHO.

Chicago
06/02/2016, 06:03 AM
was not really worried about metals.. more about the huge amount of phosphate the municipalities add to the water.. must say after weeks in the sun the rock is looking better.. on the turf algae I did have to take a power drill with wire brush attachment and use that to remove the dry out turf.. wow this stuff is tuff.. like taking paint of iron yard furniture..

johnike
06/02/2016, 06:08 AM
Take it to the car wash and use the spotless rinse, it's RO water.

Chicago
06/02/2016, 06:10 AM
that's great.. if it were only true..

bigfruits
06/02/2016, 06:27 AM
id rinse with tap, and then soak in RO

johnike
06/02/2016, 07:56 AM
that's great.. if it were only true..

It actually is. I know a guy that installs/services them.

BlackTip
06/02/2016, 08:22 AM
I powered wash my rocks outside, and never used RO/DI water to rinse it. Also, I always wash and clean my equipment in tap water. Tap water suppose to be safe for human consumption. The notion that rocks and equipment will be contaminated from just touching tap water is just funny.

juniorrocketdad
06/02/2016, 09:07 AM
Tap water really isn't that bad for your tank it just has a small amount of phosphates in it so it is bad for top offs and water changes but small amounts are no problem at all

uvijaya
06/14/2016, 04:04 PM
Ok so I pulled half my rock that was covered in turf algae. Let it dry out in back yard and had to power drill it with steel brush to scrape it off. Rock is dry and covered in dust eat. Three twenty gallon garbage cans garbage cans full. So I wa going to rinse in rodi water. But wondering has anyone done a pre wash with de chlorinated tap water then wash in rodi water. . .?

Like everyone said, dont take the risk, you spent enough time taking the rocks out and drying. Better use the RODI water only.

Timfish
06/14/2016, 05:05 PM
. . . The panic that seems to arise from what is actually very slight trace amounts of potential contaminates (if any) kinda cracks me up . . .
jm.02

+1

I use a lot of local limestone and just rinse it off with a hose. I would never use muratic acid to give it an acid bath