PDA

View Full Version : New flow needs, need to Change stuff up.

Bent
05/28/2016, 06:08 PM
So, I'm selling the two RW-15s and JBwave I have in my 75, might be too much flow and may be the reason my polyp extension is so poor, so I think I'm going to change stuff up.

So should I:

Get a CP-25
Get a CP-45
Simply downsize to two RW-8s

Do something else.

Bent
05/29/2016, 07:48 AM
No opinions?

Vinny Kreyling
05/29/2016, 08:00 AM
I have always used Sea Swirls.

SkullV
05/29/2016, 08:15 AM
With your JBwave the RW15s shouldn't be too much flow. That being said, I run 2x Gyre 150 on my SPS tank. They alternate every 30 min. Tank has never looked better. You definitely need 2 though. Anyone who says they have no dead spots with one is kidding themselves. The second the gyre on the opposite side kicks on there is always detritus to get kicked up.

Bent
05/29/2016, 08:51 AM
With your JBwave the RW15s shouldn't be too much flow. That being said, I run 2x Gyre 150 on my SPS tank. They alternate every 30 min. Tank has never looked better. You definitely need 2 though. Anyone who says they have no dead spots with one is kidding themselves. The second the gyre on the opposite side kicks on there is always detritus to get kicked up.

Even running them at 20% which is the minimum they will go without stopping, it's still too much. Everyone is all closed up.

I dunno maybe it's not the flow that's the issue.

SkullV
05/29/2016, 08:59 AM
Even running them at 20% which is the minimum they will go without stopping, it's still too much. Everyone is all closed up.

I dunno maybe it's not the flow that's the issue.

I highly doubt flow is the issue. I had hammers in my tank at the flow rate I'm at now and they were open and happy. I also have a Duncan colony that is wide open and popping new heads constantly. The only corals that didn't like the flow were fleshy LPS like acans, scoly, and acanthophyllia.

Bent
05/29/2016, 09:06 AM
I need to figure out the issue then. I don't know what it could be.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2575373

Lsufan
05/29/2016, 01:52 PM
Rw 15 do put out a lot of flow even on the lowest setting. On my 40 breeder I went from 1 rw 8 & 1 rw 4 to just 2 rw 4's & my euphylia started looking better & expanding more. With the oversized rw I couldn't run them on ramping mode because the rw 8 was just too much. Now with them not being oversized I run them in ramping mode & everything looks much better. I have a Lps dominate tank with quite a few euphylia

Bent
05/29/2016, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking I might just need to downsize pump.

When I get these sold I'll just probably go with a pair of 8s.

Lsufan
05/29/2016, 02:40 PM
8's will be plenty enough flow in a 75 gallon so if it doesn't fix your problem u won't be losing anything. You won't have to go back to bigger powerheads & u will be eliminating flow as a cause. Also 8's are about 1/2 the size of 15's so it will look better & might give u more options on placement. I have a rw 15 on my 5' 150 gallon & I have to keep it turned way down, they are some strong pumps

Bent
05/29/2016, 02:48 PM
8's will be plenty enough flow in a 75 gallon so if it doesn't fix your problem u won't be losing anything. You won't have to go back to bigger powerheads & u will be eliminating flow as a cause. Also 8's are about 1/2 the size of 15's so it will look better & might give u more options on placement. I have a rw 15 on my 5' 150 gallon & I have to keep it turned way down, they are some strong pumps

Yeah they are massive in the tank.

SkullV
05/29/2016, 03:06 PM
I would start by sending a water sample out to Triton. Also very possible you have a nasty hitchhiker with the natural liverock in that tank. I stand by my opinion that flow isn't the issue. My old 75g had two MP40wES running at 100% on reef crest (yeah I like flow) with plenty of euphyllia, acans, scolys, etc. PE was never an issue. It's more likely to be an issue with the LEDs you're running (too much light) than the pumps at 20%. For comparison here was the 75 after transitioning to an SPS tank, but some LPS still there. You can see that they are all puffy and happy:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/rockyrubicon/Fish%20Tank/75g%20Reef%20Tank/IMG_1983.jpg

Bent
05/29/2016, 04:09 PM
I would start by sending a water sample out to Triton. Also very possible you have a nasty hitchhiker with the natural liverock in that tank. I stand by my opinion that flow isn't the issue. My old 75g had two MP40wES running at 100% on reef crest (yeah I like flow) with plenty of euphyllia, acans, scolys, etc. PE was never an issue. It's more likely to be an issue with the LEDs you're running (too much light) than the pumps at 20%. For comparison here was the 75 after transitioning to an SPS tank, but some LPS still there. You can see that they are all puffy and happy:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/rockyrubicon/Fish%20Tank/75g%20Reef%20Tank/IMG_1983.jpg

Nice tank!

Yeah that's a ton of flow. Mine are honestly turned down way below my comfort level.

What is triton?

Did you check out the thread with the par numbers I posted? What do you think about the light level?

SkullV
05/29/2016, 04:15 PM
Nice tank!

Yeah that's a ton of flow. Mine are honestly turned down way below my comfort level.

What is triton?

Did you check out the thread with the par numbers I posted? What do you think about the light level?

I think your PAR is WAY high for LPS and even many SPS. Taking into account that the meter is reading low as well you are likely burning those corals bad. You could probably cut your light intensity by half and still be fine. Personally I would stop worrying about flow for the moment and reduce the lighting by 50% for several weeks. Then slowly ramp it up to a more appropriate level (which my just be that 50% level).

Triton is a company that, among other things, does a very in depth water test for marine aquaria. You can purchase their services from Unique Corals.

Bent
05/29/2016, 05:10 PM
You think putting it to 30% blues and 10% white max would be too far the other way?

SkullV
05/29/2016, 05:21 PM
You think putting it to 30% blues and 10% white max would be too far the other way?

Whatever it is at now, I'd just cut it exactly in half.

Bent
05/29/2016, 05:38 PM
Whatever it is at now, I'd just cut it exactly in half.

Ok done deal.

SkullV
05/29/2016, 05:39 PM
Good luck! I'll try to follow along in your build thread.

Bent
05/29/2016, 05:48 PM
Good luck! I'll try to follow along in your build thread.

I need to update that thing.

oseymour
05/30/2016, 08:04 AM
I think you need to combine all the help you've requested into one thread so we can see the history of what you've tried.

Did you change the lights since you posted par numbers in another thread? The numbers were way too high.

Softies and LPS do well in the 50 to 200 par range.

Right side:

Over by the brain coral in the sand I'm getting ~220.
The frog spawn is sitting at ~250
On top of the sinularia I'm getting ~410
The hammer at the top is ~650

Left side:

The top of the rock by the return is at ~680
The hammer is at ~400
The Devils hand is ~500
The nem is at ~325
Sand bed in front of nem is ~235

Bent
05/30/2016, 10:54 AM
I think you need to combine all the help you've requested into one thread so we can see the history of what you've tried.

Did you change the lights since you posted par numbers in another thread? The numbers were way too high.

Softies and LPS do well in the 50 to 200 par range.

Right side:

Over by the brain coral in the sand I'm getting ~220.
The frog spawn is sitting at ~250
On top of the sinularia I'm getting ~410
The hammer at the top is ~650

Left side:

The top of the rock by the return is at ~680
The hammer is at ~400
The Devils hand is ~500
The nem is at ~325
Sand bed in front of nem is ~235

Yes, as of yesterday I halved my lights. They are still hanging the same height as when I did the par readings, I just adjusted the intensity. Everything now ramps up to 50% blues and 25% whites and holds for 3 hours. Ramp begins at 0800, holds peak at noon to 1500 and ramps back down to lights out at 2000.

So in theory my par numbers should be 50% of what they were.
Ill go into the polyp extension thread I started and link these few threads. I don't mean to fracture the problem this much in the boards, its completely by accident.

SkullV
05/30/2016, 01:09 PM
Yes, as of yesterday I halved my lights. They are still hanging the same height as when I did the par readings, I just adjusted the intensity. Everything now ramps up to 50% blues and 25% whites and holds for 3 hours. Ramp begins at 0800, holds peak at noon to 1500 and ramps back down to lights out at 2000.

So in theory my par numbers should be 50% of what they were.
Ill go into the polyp extension thread I started and link these few threads. I don't mean to fracture the problem this much in the boards, its completely by accident.

I would just do 100% of your "problem solving" posting related to your own tank in your build thread. Would make it way easier to follow and also for you to track the problem in the future. Will also show that you are qualified to give advice on the subject in the future. Whenever I see advice from someone in my thread I always look for their own build thread. If their tank doesn't look like a tank I would be proud to own....then....well you know.

Bent
05/30/2016, 02:02 PM
I would just do 100% of your "problem solving" posting related to your own tank in your build thread. Would make it way easier to follow and also for you to track the problem in the future. Will also show that you are qualified to give advice on the subject in the future. Whenever I see advice from someone in my thread I always look for their own build thread. If their tank doesn't look like a tank I would be proud to own....then....well you know.

Well, I'll never have the money to throw at a tank to make it look super impressive, so l probably never make that list.

SkullV
05/30/2016, 02:08 PM
Well, I'll never have the money to throw at a tank to make it look super impressive, so l probably never make that list.

Money isn't what it takes at all. Good husbandry leading to large colonies and healthy fish are way more impressive than a tank full of tiny single branch 1" named frags that never grow out and get replaced as they die.

edit: to be honest I think a lot of the time the guys who can afford to throw money at their tank often "over do" it and have more problems than people who just have a simple set up with great stability.

Bent
05/30/2016, 04:05 PM
Money isn't what it takes at all. Good husbandry leading to large colonies and healthy fish are way more impressive than a tank full of tiny single branch 1" named frags that never grow out and get replaced as they die.

edit: to be honest I think a lot of the time the guys who can afford to throw money at their tank often "over do" it and have more problems than people who just have a simple set up with great stability.

True, I agree.

I'm lucky if I can buy a frag every couple months tho. Makes for slow progress. :(