PDA

View Full Version : Difference between glass, starphire glass, and acrylic...?

Salty150
05/29/2016, 09:31 AM
Is the only real difference between acrylic and starphire glass - that the acrylic is lighter, but more susceptible to scratches?

Is the clarity the same?

davjbeas
05/29/2016, 10:51 AM
It is a pain to scrape coralline off of acrylic. With glass it is easy with a razor blade.

marinelife
05/29/2016, 11:02 AM
I have acrylic and would never go glass on a big tank. I can sand any scratched out within minutes. My glass tanks always had scratches on them.
The acrylic is very clear.

Horace
05/29/2016, 12:35 PM
Starfire is not as clear as acrylic but it's darn close. Yes you can buff out scratches in acrylic. But it also scratches by looking at it....if you are careful with glass there is no reason for getting a bad scratch. That being said it is possible to buff out glass too

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

davocean
05/29/2016, 12:43 PM
Going off memory my acrylic tanks did look best when new, but I've had some scratch the first week w/out even doing anything, I could swear a snail tracked sand across a 180 once because nothing was there the night before and of course, front panel, right across the middle.
Now I do starfire, I need that clarity, and so much more scratch resistant, but you still have to be careful.
On 300g and up acrylic begins to be more practical, but other than that I'll stick w/ starfire glass.