PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean the floor around your tank?

gnasher
05/29/2016, 11:21 AM
I remember Roy telling stories about how sensitive mantis shrimp are to volatile organics and how he's lost many mantis shrimp to floor cleanings where vapors were allowed near the tanks. What do you guys do to keep the house clean without endangering your mantises?

Are there products that are effective cleaners, but are in general safe around reef tanks?

trixter227
05/29/2016, 11:26 AM
Is it carpet?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

nmotz
05/29/2016, 10:29 PM
I don't use any aerosols in the tank room. If I use them elsewhere in the house, I close the door to the tank room first. I clean everything near the tank with a mixture of RO/DI water and vinegar. It does a good job.

The carpet on the other hand, well, that just gets stained sometimes. I vacuum, but that's it. It's probably best to have a tile floor of some kind around the tank but I didn't have that option.

gnasher
05/30/2016, 11:48 PM
This would be a hard wood floor.

OllieNZ
05/31/2016, 05:21 AM
Sweep/hoover then steam mop? No chemicals then.

JokerGirl
06/04/2016, 09:36 AM
I use Bona hardwood floor cleaner around mine, but I make sure not to spray it near the tank. I mop the rest of my floors first so that the hardwood floor rag is good and wet, then just run it around the tank. It seems to do just fine. If I do need to use anything with actual fumes or clean the ovens, I turn off the protein skimmer on both of my tanks.

I have 2 parrots, so I don't typically use harsh cleaners often. Vinegar and water works well for most things too.