PDA

View Full Version : Interzoo news?

ReefCowboy
05/29/2016, 10:00 PM
It ended today but havent seen any sites updating the latest 2 days of the event?

Does anyone know where i could read about it?

ArmanS
05/30/2016, 12:50 AM
Check rb for some basic news. Best YouTube channel is the meerwasserlive tv channel. It's a German channel but they do some videos in English. Their videos are great. They have one with the new apex system in English. I was interested in learning about the Cerebra but no news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReefCowboy
05/30/2016, 07:39 AM
I was following RB, finaly today some stuff but nothing about the Cerebra. Weird we have not seen more about it this far

gus6464
05/30/2016, 08:54 AM
For such a big event rb's coverage of interzoo has been pure garbage. All that hype-up leading to the event and their pre-coverage for nothing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Westcoastindia
05/30/2016, 09:38 AM
What's RB?

Mark426
05/30/2016, 10:45 AM
For such a big event rb's coverage of interzoo has been pure garbage. All that hype-up leading to the event and their pre-coverage for nothing.

Right...not much news at all.

ReefCowboy
05/30/2016, 10:48 AM

I agree. So many created so much hype and we end up with lightly covering basic equipment. Besides a a tiny bit about Tunze's controller and their stupid microphone looking pump...nothing else.

The early announcement from Neptune was at least respectful to the US market IMO, since it allowed us to have in depth info about the new controller. Can you immagine if it was unveiled at Interzoo with this crappy coverage? People would be rioting on the streets.

unze
05/30/2016, 02:04 PM
Agree, coverage is rubbish, maybe there is nothing really new, was all hype

d2mini
05/30/2016, 02:43 PM
What's RB?

Reeeef Billlllderrrs.

Sorry, but RC has a beef with them and won't let you type the actual name.

reefwiser
05/30/2016, 03:00 PM
Like very one has said MeerwasserTV has a lot and a couple for french sites have info. Tunze had most of the new equipment announced at Interzoo this year. Red Sea has some new aquariums. Elos has some new nano tanks and lights.

K.C.
05/30/2016, 09:12 PM
For such a big event rb's coverage of interzoo has been pure garbage.

RB's coverage is always lousy. Unless you give me them free product then they'll right up a positive review :eek2:

gcarroll
05/30/2016, 10:02 PM
RB's coverage is always lousy. Unless you give me them free product then they'll right up a positive review :eek2:Lousy as compared to what?

And that is straight BS about how to get a positive review! Most of the time, RB is limited to writing what the manufacturer claims. If manufacturers lack the ability to introduce their product properly, what more can he do.

SkullV
05/30/2016, 10:46 PM
Lousy as compared to what?

And that is straight BS about how to get a positive review! Most of the time, RB is limited to writing what the manufacturer claims. If manufacturers lack the ability to introduce their product properly, what more can he do.

In the last 12 months his coverage has become UNBELIEVABLY biased towards a few companies. On occasion he will even bash other companies for doing the same things he has covered his "favorites" doing in the past. At least the weekend stuff that Paletta writes for him is good. Too bad Glassbox disappeared and Aquanerd slowed down so much.

gcarroll
05/31/2016, 09:09 AM
In the last 12 months his coverage has become UNBELIEVABLY biased towards a few companies. On occasion he will even bash other companies for doing the same things he has covered his "favorites" doing in the past. At least the weekend stuff that Paletta writes for him is good. Too bad Glassbox disappeared and Aquanerd slowed down so much.That does not addresss the accusation that it is because of a being given free products. Jake is a hobbyist just like us with decades of experience. We all have our favorite companies and products. And when you have been in the hobby that long, it's hard not to have friends in the industry who also share your passion.

Glassbox guy wasn't really a hardcore hobbyist like Jake and his knowledge was severely lacking. Plus he certainly did not travel the globe chasing reef news. Instead he just regurgitated stuff from other blog sites. No praise to him from me.

Aquanerd IMO is surely biased as alot of his product coverage revolves around product he sells. As I expect and could care less. Were you not aware that he sells product?

dkeller_nc
05/31/2016, 09:30 AM
Here's a quote from AN's "advertising" section:

AquaNerd was purchased from Brandon in July of 2015 by Scott Groseclose who has a degree in Biology from St. Andrews University. Scott has 25+ years of hands on experience in reefing, acrylic fabrication and coral farming and he works closely with many manufactures in the aquatics industry. Scott is also the owner of Aquarium Specialty, Aqua Specialty Wholesale and BioTek Marine.

It's true that Jake's coverage is inappropriately "glowing" over a lot of (IMO) very questionable products. But since RB is a node for advertising from aquarium equipment manufacturers, that's not a surprise. Oddly enough, he seems to really detest Neptune. Not sure why.

gcarroll
05/31/2016, 09:37 AM
Oddly enough, he seems to really detest Neptune. Not sure why.Funny you say that as the only reason Jake did not host the Neptune Systems product launch was because he was already in Germany. I was plan B. Jake does not detest Neptune but wants the tech to progress and will praise any company willing to innovate.

dkeller_nc
05/31/2016, 09:50 AM
I was specifically referring to his harshly critical opinion of the D.O.S. pumps and their inability to run as a stand-alone product. Also his id of the D.O.S. reservoirs as being horribly overpriced.

That's OK, it certainly wouldn't surprise me that Jake does not have a technical (e.g., engineering) education so he may simply not realize what goes into stand-alone operation for computer controlled equipment, nor what fabrication costs for a niche product.

My only real complaint is that the guy desperately needs an editor. His use of the adverb "really" gets really, really old. ;)

SkullV
05/31/2016, 09:55 AM
Here's a quote from AN's "advertising" section:

It's true that Jake's coverage is inappropriately "glowing" over a lot of (IMO) very questionable products. But since RB is a node for advertising from aquarium equipment manufacturers, that's not a surprise. Oddly enough, he seems to really detest Neptune. Not sure why.

I never really got "detest" Neptune from him, but it's clear that coralvue has his ear, or pocket, or something.

It's just too bad that there is so little real journalism in the reef hobby. It would be great to just get unbiased opinions of several products. Again, I do have to commend paletta on the posts he writes for RB though. Always interesting and generally unbiased.

I always wonder how many of the big posters on this forum (and others) are basically sanctioned shills as well. Some people always jump into every thread about a given companies product and defend it/promote it regardless of the actual thread topic. Obviously all speculation, but just a thought I sometimes have.

gcarroll
05/31/2016, 12:29 PM
I was specifically referring to his harshly critical opinion of the D.O.S. pumps and their inability to run as a stand-alone product. Also his id of the D.O.S. reservoirs as being horribly overpriced.Funny you say this. I wish Neptune would produce their products (DOS, WAV, ect…) as well so that you don’t have to have their controller to use them. As much as I wish this was the case, I respect their decision to keep these products within their own ecosystem. I don’t see Jake’s criticism as anything more than making them aware that there are people out there that don’t have their controller that would also love to used their other products.

Make no mistake, RB is a blog, not a news site so you are going to get Jake’s opinions as well. This may be why some are bashing RB as being bias. We just happen to use the RB blog for our reefing news.

It's just too bad that there is so little real journalism in the reef hobby. It would be great to just get unbiased opinions of several products. Again, I do have to commend paletta on the posts he writes for RB though. Always interesting and generally unbiased.Paletta does not write on the new products out there. Paletta and other contributors are great. But their articles as well as Jake’s product posts are what keep us checking the site, day after day. It’s OK to want more from the site, but to make unfounded accusations about Jake’s opinions being for sale is flat out irresponsible.

I always wonder how many of the big posters on this forum (and others) are basically sanctioned shills as well. Some people always jump into every thread about a given companies product and defend it/promote it regardless of the actual thread topic. Obviously all speculation, but just a thought I sometimes have.Why does everthing have to be a conspiracy. By nature, we will always speak highly of the products we choose to run. If someone says the product you are running is junk, you are gonna disagree. It’s because we have a vested interest in those products.

gcarroll
05/31/2016, 12:31 PM
BTW, thanks for the intelligent discussion guys.

SkullV
05/31/2016, 01:18 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head in your last post about it being a blog and getting Jake's opinion. That is absolutely fine, but it would be better if he made it known that something was his opinion rather than an industry standard. Unfortunately as the only blog of its kind (to my knowledge) RB is considered an industry voice by many of its readers.

Also, to an extent, his bias is overwhelming. Doing things like bashing (if that word is strong enough) Jebao for "copying" Maxspect (Coralvue) while giving no opinion (a rubber stamp maybe?) on Reef Octopus (Coralvue) doing the same thing to Vertex really undermines his credibility.

https://************.com/2014/02/12/reef-octopus-prime-skimmer-nearperfect-clone-vertex-omega/

As far as conspiracies, I'm an attorney. I am often forced to deal in worst case scenarios so they are always in the forefront of my mind.

Confuse
05/31/2016, 05:26 PM
I just wish RB would cover these shows more extensively. Especially on an international show with such limited access to the rest of the world. I like RB content, but I just wish there was more to read on a daily basis to keep me entertained. I understand it's just a blog and nobody is making payroll, but I guess that's just wishful thinking. I can tolerate the bias for informative reef news. No publication is 100% unbiased. Reality is way too subjective.

dkeller_nc
06/01/2016, 12:38 PM
Funny you say this. I wish Neptune would produce their products (DOS, WAV, ect…) as well so that you don’t have to have their controller to use them. As much as I wish this was the case, I respect their decision to keep these products within their own ecosystem. I don’t see Jake’s criticism as anything more than making them aware that there are people out there that don’t have their controller that would also love to used their other products.

Make no mistake, RB is a blog, not a news site so you are going to get Jake’s opinions as well. This may be why some are bashing RB as being bias. We just happen to use the RB blog for our reefing news.

Actually, I do appreciate opinions, Jake's or otherwise. And I really don't see Jake's publication as "news", though I guess in some sense he obsfucates this with the motto "We obsessively cover the reefing industry".
Nevertheless, I was very, very appreciative of his articles on why Jeboa is not an acceptable company, because they're not.

To others on the thread: It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that Jake and his folks are going to be quite careful about critiquing equipment, supplies and services offered to aquarists. Reef Builder's isn't a news organization, nor is it even a blog by a dedicated hobbyist. It's a business focused on generating content with the objective of monetizing the driving of traffic to advertiser's sites. The "advertising" section on the website is quite clear about this. There's even a "Free Guide to SPS Coloration" pop-up on the site that is intended to harvest e-mail addresses of a targeted group (i.e., reefers).

Greg - the above is actually why I was surprised that he hasn't been terribly complementary to Neptune; alienating a company that has most of the aquarium controller/automation business, at least in the States, doesn't make too much sense. That said, the write-up on the new Apex is back to the general tone of the rest of his articles on equipment. Perhaps he patched things up with them in some way.

dkeller_nc
06/01/2016, 12:51 PM
No publication is 100% unbiased.

Yeah, and I'd point out that it would be financially untenable for a hobbyist to actually provide an objective review of reefing equipment at the volume of RB. Doing so would require purchasing said equipment out of one's own pocket without the manufacturer's knowledge, which would be hugely expensive. And getting manufacturers to supply product for review without cost would be pretty much impossible if you offered anything more than really mild criticism.

unze
06/02/2016, 04:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlKOSswLsf4

reefwiser
06/02/2016, 07:32 AM
Pedro love your walk thru.:)

Mark426
06/02/2016, 03:54 PM
RB is not doing a bad job IMO.... Jake is posting a few each day instead of one big dump.

ReefCowboy
06/02/2016, 05:55 PM
RB is not doing a bad job IMO.... Jake is posting a few each day instead of one big dump.

Not picking on RB, since there could have been others posting also based on how big Interzoo supposedly is for the hobby.

I dont blame Jake for this, he can do whatever he wants, its his blog afterall :)
Coverage sucked based on hype built around this, that was my point.

Following your reasoning for explaining the bad coverage would be like getting anxious for a game, and not finding out the result until a few days afterwards,
only getting tiny clips of the game played day after day... But again, for some this is cool, i like to find out things as they happen

Razor Blade
06/02/2016, 06:46 PM
Could we get back on topic regarding Interzoo please?

Anyone have any other photos to share?