PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser and aquaforest

thirst
05/30/2016, 02:29 PM
Should I not use Kalkwasser on my top off if I plan to do aquaforest?

Thanks

thirst
05/31/2016, 03:02 AM
To elaborate, I plan on running AF on a 150 full heavily stocked SPS system. I have always used Kalkwasser with my top off as it helps with PH. My understanding is that if I do use Kalk, then my potential for dosing components 1,2,3 would be slightly lower than without Kalk. Given that my believe my Alk/CA demand will be very high, I presume that it isn't a problem I supplement it with Kalk, similar to a heavily loaded system supplements with CaRx.

For a 150 Gallon system, is there a minimum Comp1,2,3 that should be dosed for the micro-nutrients to be adequate? Thank you

thirst
05/31/2016, 03:22 AM
I guess to expand upon this, if my current CA/KH/MG are stable, can I simply dose the micronutrients? And if that's a route I want to take, what should I be dosing? Component strong? Is this the same as component abc? That and add Mineral salt?

Thanks for your help in advance.

plyle02
05/31/2016, 05:26 AM
Hello,
Yes you can simply use Component Strong, Reef Mineral Salt is not really necessary.
Cheers

fessoclown
06/02/2016, 06:52 AM
Following along....
I'd love to hear from AF on this...

plyle02
06/02/2016, 07:24 AM
Hello,
Yes you can simply use Component Strong, Reef Mineral Salt is not really necessary.
Cheers

I take that back, component strong used in conjunction with mixing your own, I apologize for my confusion. You would use component abc to satisfy trace minerals. Minerals being handled by kalk.

plyle02
06/02/2016, 07:28 AM
more discussion of this today on this thread, Cham made some great points.
Cheers!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2551525&page=5

plyle02
06/02/2016, 07:41 AM
For what it is worth, I have a 16 gallon AIO Nuvo that is being run with probiotic reef salt(exchange water from 120 gallon display), and using Pro Bio F as an AIO carbon/bac support. I have a low bioload right now, but have 13 sps corals in there, and so far, every coral is fully expanded with polyps. I have not seen any negative interaction with the products thus far. I am not dosing any trace, as I do bi-weekly 75% water exchange from my main tank. That said, I am doing this tank with kalk due to the amount of questions, that and it is easier to use one pump to maintain the main minerals. I am dosing mag one per week.
AF products used:
Pro Bio F- 1 spoon every 3 days
AF Carbon- 1/3 cup
Probiotic Salt(with exchange water)
AF Build- 3 drops per week
AF Aminomix- 3 drops per week
AF Vitality- 3 drops per week
AF Energy- 3 drops per week

I am using kalk at a saturation of 4 teaspoons per gallon. So far I have maintained good balance and will increase the saturation as the tank demands seem fit. Thanks!