PDA

View Full Version : How to swap sumps on a running 90G tank?

GroceryGetterS4
05/30/2016, 08:27 PM
I've search around wide and far, with very little help on how to swap out my sump on my standard 90G stand? I've got a 20L under it right now, and want to put a space saving acrylic sump with all the goodies. The Stand has a beam in the middle of the opening, where the doors are. I'm worried if I knock that out to take the old sump out, everything will come crashing down. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any tips with experience would be very helpful, thanks.

travis136
05/30/2016, 08:59 PM
i just recently did the same thing, i ended up draining the display tank to where i can pull it off the wall and swap sumps out. you should be able to do that pretty easy i went with a trigger systems ruby 30 and it barely fits in there but a perfect fit

travis136
05/30/2016, 08:59 PM
i was also thinking about cutting the center brace out but i chickened out and did it the safe way lol.

GroceryGetterS4
05/30/2016, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately draining my tank isn't an option....too much in livestock, too much livestock, rock will all topple, breaking huge colonies of SPS, not worth the risk. Thank for the heads up though!

ca1ore
05/31/2016, 09:00 AM
Although it's easy to overestimate the amount of 'science' that goes into these things; I'd certainly view the vertical member as important to the integrity of the stand. Can you put in some kind of temporary struts at each end just inside the door openings?

Mr.Tan
05/31/2016, 09:14 AM
you could always cut out the center brace and put another temporary one in more towards the side or a way that it will allow you to remove the old and put in the new. then reinstall the center brace

Sk8r
05/31/2016, 11:37 AM
I had to move 1800 lbs of lps reef and stand to install new laminate, and rapidly de-watered the tank, with fish in it, leaving 6" of water/sand (of 36"). De-watered, moved tank, rewatered, fixed floor, de-watered, moved tank, rewatered, all within 6 hours. Sps can safely be out of water the length of time it takes to do that, which was about, oh, 30 minutes or less for each de-watering.