PDA

View Full Version : Corals are not happy

Saltwater newby
06/01/2016, 05:37 AM
Hello guys, I haven't posted anything on here for a while, since my tank has been running good. But unfortunately for about a month now I've been having some issues and I'm hoping to get some advice. I have a young tank, it's a Red Sea reefer 350 that's has been running for about 6 months. Although all my fish are looking fat and happy I can't say the same for my corals. I currently have and have had for over 4 months now some LPs corals. Including a 15 head frogspawn. My frogspawn started to not want to open and eventually it's already lost about 6 heads. My other smaller hammer, torch and frogspawn are doing ok but not fully opening either. I haven't changed my lighting since I set up my tank and I haven't changed my flow. I have a gyre running at a pulsing mode and only gently sways my corals polyps back and forth and the Kessil 360 are set at 30% max for 9 1/2 hours ramping up and down for a sunrise and sunset effect until off. Only thing that happened were high nitrates but with water changes and the break in of my ATS they have come down to about 40 and improving. But ammonia and nitrites remained at 0. Calcium is at lower 400 and ALK 10-l to 11-5 magnesium was 1600 I think that's high but got that high just recently. I test ca, mg and ALK with Red Sea reef pro. Nitrates with salifert. I did start recently manual dosing of Bionic 2 part ALK and calcium and testing frequently to see if that helped but have had no luck. Any advice out there from people dealing with this please share some knowledge.
Thanks!!

Devolver
06/01/2016, 06:49 AM
I would check your PH too. I know from experience if it is off then LPS don't like it

Saltwater newby
06/01/2016, 07:50 AM
Hello
I meant to say
PH is been 8.0 to 8.3

Brieninsac
06/01/2016, 07:56 AM
30% on the lights sounds kinda low to me. I have the same tank and lights and I just bumped my lights up to 55% after being at 50% for the last 5-months.

Saltwater newby
06/01/2016, 08:01 AM
30% on the lights sounds kinda low to me. I have the same tank and lights and I just bumped my lights up to 55% after being at 50% for the last 5-months.

Hello
It's awesome to know you have the same lights
Would you mind sharing with me the entire set up of your lights schedule??

amcvay1979
06/01/2016, 10:56 AM
LED's and LPS can be tough to get right. I've lost some LPS with pristine water quality, good flow and optimal CAL/ALK/MAG Ph, etc. Just can't explain it. It almost has to be a lighting issue. I run 2 AI 52's over a 4 foot tank and I have some LPS thrive, others dwindle or don't grow. It's a mystery. You may need to experiment with light intensity settings and/or coral placement and observe over time. I know you don't want to lose any more, but you need to go slow. Burning them won't fix the problem, and white LED's can burn LPS very easily if you go too quickly. Good luck!

Saltwater newby
06/01/2016, 11:13 AM
LED's and LPS can be tough to get right. I've lost some LPS with pristine water quality, good flow and optimal CAL/ALK/MAG Ph, etc. Just can't explain it. It almost has to be a lighting issue. I run 2 AI 52's over a 4 foot tank and I have some LPS thrive, others dwindle or don't grow. It's a mystery. You may need to experiment with light intensity settings and/or coral placement and observe over time. I know you don't want to lose any more, but you need to go slow. Burning them won't fix the problem, and white LED's can burn LPS very easily if you go too quickly. Good luck!

Yup! I've definitely played with placement and lighting. They get enough light to not releasing zooxanthallae. Everything was fine for up to like a month ago. I guess my main question is, what do you consider optimal parameters for LPS??

amcvay1979
06/01/2016, 02:14 PM
For LPS, there's a large PAR swing of 50 to 300 depending on depth, etc. I'm sure my LPS are getting blasted with more like 350 plus since my mixed reef is SPS heavy up top and middle and my LPS are all lower. I try to replicate a 20k look in my AI 52's, so I run whites around 40, less than 50 always. Then my blues are pumped up to 82-90, sort of a 1:2 ratio. Then my other colors are usually pretty high because they don't add much par at all, so those settings are more about finding the right look and balance, but that's my AI lights, I know yours are different. If you watch the BRS 160 build videos, there's a really good vid where they break down LED lighting fixtures and go over their par values one by one, maybe yours is listed? I'd check that out, it was very informative.

jenjen
06/01/2016, 02:32 PM
What are your parameters? Can you do a full set of tests & post your results? It looks from your original post like Alk & Mg are very high, and you're dosing Alk.. is this correct?

Saltwater newby
06/01/2016, 03:16 PM
For LPS, there's a large PAR swing of 50 to 300 depending on depth, etc. I'm sure my LPS are getting blasted with more like 350 plus since my mixed reef is SPS heavy up top and middle and my LPS are all lower. I try to replicate a 20k look in my AI 52's, so I run whites around 40, less than 50 always. Then my blues are pumped up to 82-90, sort of a 1:2 ratio. Then my other colors are usually pretty high because they don't add much par at all, so those settings are more about finding the right look and balance, but that's my AI lights, I know yours are different. If you watch the BRS 160 build videos, there's a really good vid where they break down LED lighting fixtures and go over their par values one by one, maybe yours is listed? I'd check that out, it was very informative.
Yup
I've seen the brs 160 build and I also saw one they made different types of corals. I'm positive the lights and flow is not the problem. I think it's something to do with my nitrates getting high at one time, but like I stated earlier they've come down drastically. What levels of Ca, Mg and ALK do you recommend??

Saltwater newby
06/01/2016, 03:18 PM
What are your parameters? Can you do a full set of tests & post your results? It looks from your original post like Alk & Mg are very high, and you're dosing Alk.. is this correct?

Yes I am dosing ALK and I can definitely run the tests again tonight.
I'll post the results tonight
Thanks!!

amcvay1979
06/01/2016, 04:08 PM
what are your Phosphate levels? LPS can and do love dirty water so the 40 nitrates is higher than I'd go, it certainly won't kill them. If they are in a high N environment but lack any Phosphate, that could be a big problem, but I doubt your Phos levels are zero, but I could be wrong.

Saltwater newby
06/01/2016, 04:12 PM
what are your Phosphate levels? LPS can and do love dirty water so the 40 nitrates is higher than I'd go, it certainly won't kill them. If they are in a high N environment but lack any Phosphate, that could be a big problem, but I doubt your Phos levels are zero, but I could be wrong.

I don't currently own a phosphate test kit
But I have one on order
So those results are soon to come.

Saltwater newby
06/01/2016, 10:03 PM

ALK 10.1
Ca 375
Mg1200
Nitrate about 60 on salifert but it says to divide by 10 so that means 6?
Ph 8.0
Salinity 1.025
Temp 81
I'm still waiting for my phosphate test kit to arrive

jenjen
06/01/2016, 10:14 PM
That's a fair bit of swing over what you noted as your test results in the original post. How consistent are your numbers? Most corals prefer consistent levels over large swings.

Brieninsac
06/01/2016, 10:56 PM
Hello

It's awesome to know you have the same lights

Would you mind sharing with me the entire set up of your lights schedule??

7am 20% color/15% intensity
9am 30% color/40% intensity
11am 60% color/55% intensity
3pm 60% color/55% intensity
6pm 30% color/40% intensity
9pm 0% color/0% intensity

Saltwater newby
06/02/2016, 05:01 AM
That's a fair bit of swing over what you noted as your test results in the original post. How consistent are your numbers? Most corals prefer consistent levels over large swings.

Yeah you're right. For the looks of it they're not consistent at all. I didn't dose over the weekend because I was out of town. I did dose 2 part last night.

Saltwater newby
06/02/2016, 05:22 AM
7am 20% color/15% intensity
9am 30% color/40% intensity
11am 60% color/55% intensity
3pm 60% color/55% intensity
6pm 30% color/40% intensity
9pm 0% color/0% intensity

Wow! That's so much more color and intensity from what I have mine set to. How are your LPS doing and how long have they been in that setting? Do you have pics of your tank??

JohnnyHildo
06/02/2016, 07:49 AM
I don't currently own a phosphate test kit
But I have one on order
So those results are soon to come.

if you have a fair amount of algae of any form in your tank be aware that your phosphate test might not necessarily identify what is actually going on in your system.
we likely started our tanks at the same time and all along i tested for phosphate. i kept getting undetectable readings yet had a significant amount of green hair algae holding it all as it doesn't last long in the water column where the test sample is taken from.

Saltwater newby
06/02/2016, 08:15 AM
if you have a fair amount of algae of any form in your tank be aware that your phosphate test might not necessarily identify what is actually going on in your system.
we likely started our tanks at the same time and all along i tested for phosphate. i kept getting undetectable readings yet had a significant amount of green hair algae holding it all as it doesn't last long in the water column where the test sample is taken from.

Hello
I don't have any hair algae at the moment. Only green algae starting to build up in live rock.

jenjen
06/02/2016, 12:48 PM
Yeah you're right. For the looks of it they're not consistent at all. I didn't dose over the weekend because I was out of town. I did dose 2 part last night.

Stable and consistent parameters are really important for corals and also fish. Here's a good thread that talks about some of the key parameters:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2582265

Personally I would start there, and once the parameters are stable and within the correct range see where you're at.

xxsevxx
06/02/2016, 12:59 PM
I have the same light and mixed reef and my lights when i had my 28gal was 50% and when i went to a deeper 45 gal i ramped it up to 60%. 6 months in and everything is looking great. I would raise your lights 10% a week until you get up to at least 50% and see if that helps at all.

Saltwater newby
06/02/2016, 04:28 PM
Stable and consistent parameters are really important for corals and also fish. Here's a good thread that talks about some of the key parameters:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2582265

Personally I would start there, and once the parameters are stable and within the correct range see where you're at.

Thanks!!

manilaboy1vic
06/02/2016, 07:01 PM
30% max does seem low. i have my LPS on the sand.. i run my kessils at 90% for like 5hrs or 6hrs a day.. i have some sps on top.. my frogspawn is off to the side in front.. and is doing well.. my open brain just recently started to have issues.. but i think its something else.. ive had that forever..

i have a scoly on the sand off to the side doing well

i have 2x 160s and 1x 360... 68g versa cadlights. i cannot get candy canes to grow tho.. those im on my 3rd attempt.. they just die every time for me for some reason..

that link above is good..... my ALK is way off.. i been out of town for the past 8wks.. im slowly getting it readjusted.. i think thats why my open brain is taking a dive and looking weird.. good luck.

Saltwater newby
06/02/2016, 08:03 PM
30% max does seem low. i have my LPS on the sand.. i run my kessils at 90% for like 5hrs or 6hrs a day.. i have some sps on top.. my frogspawn is off to the side in front.. and is doing well.. my open brain just recently started to have issues.. but i think its something else.. ive had that forever..

i have a scoly on the sand off to the side doing well

i have 2x 160s and 1x 360... 68g versa cadlights. i cannot get candy canes to grow tho.. those im on my 3rd attempt.. they just die every time for me for some reason..

that link above is good..... my ALK is way off.. i been out of town for the past 8wks.. im slowly getting it readjusted.. i think thats why my open brain is taking a dive and looking weird.. good luck.
Wow! That's crazy... I guess i took the whole "LPS need low light intensity compared to SPS" too serious. So your intensity is at 90%?

Saltwater newby
06/03/2016, 04:37 AM
I have the same light and mixed reef and my lights when i had my 28gal was 50% and when i went to a deeper 45 gal i ramped it up to 60%. 6 months in and everything is looking great. I would raise your lights 10% a week until you get up to at least 50% and see if that helps at all.

How much are your whites set to?
I heard white is not important for corals.

Brieninsac
06/03/2016, 08:15 AM
Wow! That's so much more color and intensity from what I have mine set to. How are your LPS doing and how long have they been in that setting? Do you have pics of your tank??

I started with mainly frags and have been adding to them over the last 8 months. However, I've only been using the Spectral controller for the last 5 months.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160603/9e2a60a48aaeb1f4ff15ed4038f83a16.jpg

Saltwater newby
06/03/2016, 02:29 PM

I'm starting to think it's a lighting issue as well. I'm working on finding the sweet spot in the middle. Thanks for the advce👍🏽

Nuvodawg
06/04/2016, 09:12 PM
Ocellaris

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

awais98
06/04/2016, 10:55 PM
Seems to me it's chemistry issues: phosphates and swings.
How much water change do you do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk