PDA

View Full Version : Getting ick out of empty qt

biglurr54
06/01/2016, 06:27 AM
I lost a CBB in qt. He had Ick starting on him. He wasn’t eating so I didn’t start treatment because I was waiting to fatten him up as CBB usually stop eating with copper treatment. I would like to get my qt ready for the next fish. What it the best way to get rid of Ick in the QT.

Copper treatment for two weeks (2 weeks)

Empty and dry out qt then restart the cycle (4 weeks)

Leave qt empty with no fish to wait out Ick life cycle (6 weeks)

Are there any other options? I would like the fastest way to kill off the Ick and still keep the filtering bacteria. I can do as much water changing as needed. Would a very very strong dose of copper instantly kill off the ick and not the bacteria? Then water changes until copper is gone?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

pyithar
06/01/2016, 10:21 AM
i would just empty the tank and dry it out. copper will kill the parasites only at free swimming stage. you could also do TTM to treat ich if you don't wanna use copper. as for the qt cycle, you can put a filter pad in the sump/system for a couple of weeks and use that filter pad in your qt filter when you set up the qt.

Dmorty217
06/01/2016, 03:32 PM
i would just empty the tank and dry it out. copper will kill the parasites only at free swimming stage. you could also do TTM to treat ich if you don't wanna use copper. as for the qt cycle, you can put a filter pad in the sump/system for a couple of weeks and use that filter pad in your qt filter when you set up the qt.

+1 or you can use bleach or vinegar and water if you wanted. If the equipment and tank dry out completely the disease will be eliminated from them

jduck
06/01/2016, 03:39 PM
I would do nothing until your going to add next fish, then bring copper up to therapeutic level and add the fish. Ich is only attached to fish 3-7 days. Copper will prevent any new ich from attaching to fish.

biglurr54
06/01/2016, 04:45 PM
My goal is quickly kill ick and yet save the bacteria. I might take this opportunity to add a false wall as an overflow and and turn it into an aio tank.

jduck
06/01/2016, 04:55 PM
There is no quick way to kill ich and keep your bacteria. 6 weeks fallow if you don't want to touch it. Or dose the copper and just add your next fish. Copper at the proper levels will prevent new ich from attaching to your fish. Or drain it all let it air dry and add some MB7 or other beneficial bacteria in a bottle.

snorvich
06/02/2016, 06:04 AM
Empty and dry out qt then restart the cycle (4 weeks)

This. Fallow period is 72 days.

biglurr54
06/02/2016, 06:52 AM
Empty it is.