PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Concerns GBTA

Arrow36
06/02/2016, 11:59 AM
So I got this green bubble tip anemone about 5 days ago, it is the second one I've had. After my tank crashed and i lost most of my livestock and my first anemone I gave it almost a year before getting this one. So for the past 3 months my parameters have been perfect and ideal for anemones so I saw this one and it didn't look magnificent when I got it, looked kinda stressed. After 8 hours of being in my tank this anemone blew up with color and bubbles literally looks super healthy. So made me more confident in my decision to give him a home( because the customer before me in line bought 2 oscellaris clowns and a condy anemone... which their tank is new and they probably just watched Finding Nemo cause Dori is coming out soon... and the husband pretty much told me off when I questioned them, so I'm sure that tank has crashed by now.) T\My Anemone, Luna as my wife named it looks great only moved half an inch from where I thought would be a great place and hasnt move in 5 days. I fed it 36 hours after it was in my tank cause I'm not sure if they feed theirs. Either way my wife and I are concerned cause its mouth is slightly open like the size of half a pea, and people tell me they should be tightly closed. Is this normal or should I be concerned. After I fed the anemone it took it in less than 2 seconds and that piece of shrimp was gone. Afterwards its mouth look kinda inverted then quickly with back to normal. and last night and today its mouth has been like i said open the size of half a pea.

jiminy_crime
06/02/2016, 12:33 PM
Normal...if it starts staying open and getting bigger and bigger and never tightening back up that's no Bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arrow36
06/02/2016, 01:00 PM
ok I'll keep monitoring it and keep this post up to daye. thank you for reply, if anyone else has some comments with my concern feel free to comment, I appreciate all advice.

Arrow36
06/06/2016, 05:16 PM
So I left for work today, and the anemone looked great. I was only gone 2 hours tops and came home to my anemone looking like this. It has shrinked before normally after feedings and then blows back up to look normal within the hour. It has been 3 hours now and it looks the same. So in a panic I instantly tested all my parameters, and everything was in the recommended levels but my calcium was a bit lower than I like. I'm freaking out, cause I have a soft spot for anemones, and when I bought this one it looked worse at the store and way better and thriving in my tank, i find it hard to believe that now it is dying.

bshow24
06/06/2016, 05:28 PM
Looks like it just expelled water...it'll get back to normal.

Also, Anemones don't need calcium or alkalinity, that stuff is for the corals. The parameters you need to check are salinity, nitrates, and temp. As long as those look good, then your conditions should be fine.

Lastly, I would let it settle in before feeding, if you ever feed again. Too much feeding or giving it too large of a piece can cause an anemone to stress and split, something you want to avoid because stress can kill anemones. Technically, you never have to feed a nem, they get everything from the zooxanthellae within them. If you do feed though, do not feed silversides, if they were improperly cared for before being sold to you, there's a possibility that little bite kills the nem.

Just my 2 cents.

Arrow36
06/06/2016, 07:24 PM
Well thought, I'd throw an update out there.My anemone returned to normal. and the mouth is pretty well closed, maybe the size of a grape seed.

jiminy_crime
06/06/2016, 07:43 PM
That will happen over and over and over. I wouldn't wait more than a week before feeding your anemone. From my experience, an anemone that will grab food and eat it is a sign that the anemone is happy with its surroundings. If it lacks the ability to eat then that is a sign it isn't happy or could be stressed still. That's my observations so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arrow36
06/06/2016, 08:21 PM
I fed it Tuesday, the day after I placed it in the tank, waited 24 hours, then again on Saturday. I have been soaking the food in Zoecon. Would feeding it Wednesday be to soon? I know people say you don't have to feed them, but I just believe it has the ability to eat and the means of catching food. I believe people who dont feed theirs, it is probably getting pieces of food meant for their fish.

bshow24
06/06/2016, 09:17 PM
They get food from light...thats what the zooxanthellae are for.

Arrow36
06/07/2016, 12:48 PM
Ok..... I feel like I'm on here daily, but my wife told me that a mushroom coral was floating around, and the anemone grab it and are it... Anyone heard of this before? Any issues I should be worried bout