PDA

View Full Version : Alk

troynel
06/03/2016, 08:30 AM
So question regarding Alk. I know the goal is to strive for consistency but im unclear on exactly what that entails. If my alk levels go from 9.15 to 8.75 and or the other way around but don't vary more than .50 or so at any given time is that acceptable. I guess im confused on whether we are trying to keep it the exact reading every time I test? How much variance is acceptable at any given day or month?

markalot
06/03/2016, 09:02 AM
SPS, LPS, softies?

For SPS you want to stay very close to the same number daily, most other corals are more forgiving. Measure at the same time every day prior to any dosing.

This is what the month of May looked like for me and my SPS are all doing well.

http://i.imgur.com/RASjhmk.jpg

That's still a little too bouncy for my taste but the tank is still recovering from some issues and as growth increases I have to carefully match the additional usage.

GimpyFin
06/03/2016, 09:06 AM
It's going to fluctuate a little and if you're keeping it within .5 dkh either way consistently, you're doing pretty good. I keep mine between 7-8, but it goes a little over 8 when I do a water change. No problems.

troynel
06/03/2016, 12:25 PM
Thanks!

bertoni
06/03/2016, 02:08 PM
0.5 dKH is a very tight range. For soft corals, just keeping the levels between 7-11 dKH is fine, in my experience. My tanks went from 10 dKH to 7 or 7.5 dKH every day for years without problems.

troynel
06/04/2016, 12:26 PM
I have sps so maybe that makes a difference.

tmz
06/05/2016, 12:27 PM
I think a variation from 9.15 to 8.75 dkh is ok for sps , IME. I do strive for the most constant level I can get though. Consumption rates may vary a bit with events in the tank so it's tough to keep it exactly the same all of time. A steady consistent dosing method is about the best I can do.

gmlee
06/05/2016, 10:47 PM
Getting better at keeping alk more stable but it comes with time and a few screw ups. Never worried about it years ago but then again never had sps. Just baked myself some baking soda after reading about it for years.