PDA

View Full Version : Cant connect to apex on iphone now

steallife904
06/03/2016, 09:03 AM
Yesterday I had Comcast come out because my internet had got very slow. They ended up having to put in a new router. My apex is setup on a netgear wireless adapter and I was able to connect it to the new router using WPS. When I am home I can connect to the apex through WIFI but now I cannot connect off of WIFI. It says cannot locate server. I believe a while ago (like 2 years) I had something similar happen and I had to log into the router or something to get a new IP address or something like that to update the Apex??????????? I really cant recall exactly but I cannot figure out what to do right now. What do I need to do/update to get my apex to connect when I am off WIFI? Just to confirm I have had it setup and working for years, its just that I got a new router now and its now not working. Just need to remember what changed and what I need to update.

FullBoreReefer
06/03/2016, 10:09 AM
Probably all your port forwarding has been deleted.

steallife904
06/03/2016, 11:55 AM
would I just log into the router to get this info and add to apex through apex dashboard?

kurt_n
06/03/2016, 09:27 PM
Port forwarding is something you setup on your router only.

If you had it set up correctly before, I bet if you take a look at the User's Manual it'll spur your memory as to what to do! You shouldn't need to do anything to your Apex.

steallife904
06/03/2016, 11:27 PM
i am so lost. i have been messing with this for hours. i guess i am confused about setting up the port forwarding on this new comcast router and what should be the gateway entered in the apex network setup? as of now i can connect through my apex app on wifi but not through cell signal.wifi off (whatever you want to call it) at this point i feel like i might have the gateway wrong in network setup or the host wrong in the app itself for the non wifi???? any help on what those should be?

kurt_n
06/05/2016, 08:45 PM
More than likely, nothing is wrong in your Apex or in your app if you can see the Apex locally via wifi.

What app are you using? If it's the old one, then you have to have two setups - one for local (wifi) and one for outside of your network. Outside your network, you have to use your external IP address or if you setup a dyndns (or equivalent), that one.

Get ahold of the latest User's Manual, and check out the "Configure Internet Access" section. I think that'll get you where you want to go.

steallife904
06/06/2016, 09:05 AM
im using the old one and have 2 setups, one local and one for outside. Just the outside one not working now. I didn't mess with it yesterday but will try again today. Just trying to figure out what goes in where in setting up port forwarding and what I might have to change in the apex network setup (gateway???) and on the host in the app

dougchambers
06/06/2016, 03:19 PM
When accessing your Apex externally, are you using port forwarding via your router? Is your router pushing it's IP to an external service like DYNDNS? After a recent router change, I had to go in and tell the router to update the service for external access again.

Just a thought...

steallife904
06/06/2016, 06:18 PM
I think that's the issue. I need to setup port forwarding again. I'm just not a pro at it and really confused! Have no idea if it's pushing it to an external service??? I just know I use to be able to click on my app, select the outside my network one and it worked. I had help years ago when setting it up so I don't even remember what was done as far as setting it up with port forwarding. I have figured out how to login to router and found where to setup the port forwarding but I guess I'm not putting the right info in because it never works. Been doing it for days. My apex is also on a wireless game adapter so not sure how this affects this also.

steallife904
06/07/2016, 12:59 PM
can anyone advise, when I am setting up port forwarding, what ip address do I put in? is it the apex ip address, my computer ip address, or wireless game adapter (if it has one?)? and once I get the port forwarding up.... what do I put in for the host name on the app for the out of network one???? on the wifi one the host is the apex IP number, not sure what goes in it for out of network one?

kurt_n
06/07/2016, 08:33 PM
In your router, you want to use your Apex address for the port forwarding rule... *NOT* the wireless adapter. That's exactly how I'm setup with my WNCE2001 wireless adapter.

When you're connecting using the app when you're outside your network, you are going to use your *external* IP address, not the IP address you've set your Apex to. Your external IP address is the IP address that your internet provider has given you, and it can change from time to time. Some folks pay extra for a static external IP address, but since you have to pay for that, most folks realize if they have one. You can go to whatismyip.com and it will tell you your current external IP address.

You can also sign up for a "dynamic dns" service that will give you some type of name to remember, like "mystaticipaddress.dyn.org" or something like that. (Google the term and you'll find many free providers.) You'll then install a little program on a computer that is on your network that will keep your IP address and that static name synced up. Many/most routers these days also have this function built-in, to varying degrees of usability. The advantage to doing it in the router is that you don't have to keep your computer on all the time that has the program running on it - your router will always be on.

steallife904
06/08/2016, 08:36 AM
ok so when setting up port forwarding use the Apex IP (in my case its 10.0.0.13)
and for app use the external IP address (look up with whatismyip.com). Would I put this IP address in the app for host?

thank you again very much!!!

steallife904
06/08/2016, 04:02 PM
i got it!!!!!!!!!!!! thank god! lol thank you all and thank you Kurt for walking me through it. actually turned out i didn't have the correct IP address in the app for HOST. got it now and works

kurt_n
06/09/2016, 07:43 AM
i got it!!!!!!!!!!!! thank god! lol thank you all and thank you Kurt for walking me through it. actually turned out i didn't have the correct IP address in the app for HOST. got it now and works

:thumbsup: