PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse Skin Erosion/Mouth Rot Tips!!!

MysteryNova
06/03/2016, 08:39 PM
I was out of town for over a week and left my tanks in the hands of my friend. When I came back, one of my seahorses had reacted to the lack of water changes my friend did and had the initial stages of skin erosion near his mouth and on his back. I'm assuming it was due to ammonia poisoning.

Long story short, my seahorse with the symptoms is now in QT and being treated with Furan 2. I lowered the temp to 70 so far but aim to get to 68 as i've heard its the best temp when dealing with bacterial infections.

In the tank there is a bubbler for aeration, hitching posts, and some fans on top. Bare bottom, running without filtration to insure the medicine does its job and isnt cleaned out of the water.

Only issue is my seahorse will NOT eat. Today is his first day in QT, so I don't know if he's just stressed or what. Yesterday he ate MAYBE two bites of mysis shrimp, that is it. Today he has eaten nothing.

Does anyone have any tips on how to encourage eating for him??? He's still upright and hitched properly, just breathing heavily. I know he's not dying just yet because he hasn't sunken over or anything. I REALLY want to save this little guy, the treatment is 4 days long and I don't know how long after that I should keep him in QT. (if he makes it that is.)

Any tips???? Here's a pic of the setup of the QT. Very basic. He is hitched to the object in the middle.351669