PDA

View Full Version : Nitrofurazone or Metronidazole for Potential Uronema Infection

Newms118
06/04/2016, 12:54 PM
I have a chromis that appears to have a red spot/bruise, so potential Uronema marinum infection. I was going to use Chloroquine phosphate (NLS ich shield) but I have a McCosker's Flasher wrasse and I dont want it to die because of the treatment. Will nitrofurazone or metronidazole work as treatments? Which one is best and at what dose?

vinhle00
06/04/2016, 04:35 PM
I never had luck with metro for treating uronema. Best way to treat with metro for a fish that is infected internally with uronema is by feeding it along with seachem focus. If i were in your situation i would separate the chromis and treat the chromis for uronema. From my experience i had other fish like wrasse and tangs exposed to chromis with uronema but it never effected them. Anthias, chromis, some angel fish, cardianlfish are more prone to the disease.

I found it best to treat chromis individually versus in groups the chance of them surviving in groups are near zero when dealing with uronema due to aggression.

To treat you must go at it with a combination rather than relay on one medication. start of with a formalin dip for 45mins at 1ml per gallon in a container that has an airstone running for at least 30mins before putting the fish in. after that move the fish into a uronema free qt tank that has an S.g. of 1.009 and predosed with CP. leave the fish in there for 8-12 weeks(you can feed it food with metro during this time).At the end of 12weeks without bringing down CP take the fish out for another formalin bath than into another clean QT tank.

Newms118
06/05/2016, 10:09 AM
I never had luck with metro for treating uronema. Best way to treat with metro for a fish that is infected internally with uronema is by feeding it along with seachem focus. If i were in your situation i would separate the chromis and treat the chromis for uronema. From my experience i had other fish like wrasse and tangs exposed to chromis with uronema but it never effected them. Anthias, chromis, some angel fish, cardianlfish are more prone to the disease.

I found it best to treat chromis individually versus in groups the chance of them surviving in groups are near zero when dealing with uronema due to aggression.

To treat you must go at it with a combination rather than relay on one medication. start of with a formalin dip for 45mins at 1ml per gallon in a container that has an airstone running for at least 30mins before putting the fish in. after that move the fish into a uronema free qt tank that has an S.g. of 1.009 and predosed with CP. leave the fish in there for 8-12 weeks(you can feed it food with metro during this time).At the end of 12weeks without bringing down CP take the fish out for another formalin bath than into another clean QT tank.

So when you had uronema, how long did it take before the fish started to really look bad. My chromis has had the same red spot for 7 days straight, still eats like a horse, and its maybe gotten a little darker. I though once they had signs like this the fish should drop in 24 hours?

I cant treat with CP because my QT tank also has a wrasse in it. I figured the Metroplex would be safe first start before attempting the CP.

Also, how are you making up your water with 1.009 salinity? I have a refractometer but it wont go down that low. Just curious.

vinhle00
06/05/2016, 05:17 PM
Usally with no stressor in the tank the chromis can fight off uronema for the time being. Doesnt mean it isn't present. I use a milwaukee digital refractometer calibrate with RO water. To bring it down i just do big water changes replacing with fresh RO water. Had no problem bringing it down fast 24-48hrs But go very slow when bringing it up. I recormend if you have the space and means to treat the chromis on its own.