PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tail Damsel Good Or Bad?

SteveVai9708
06/04/2016, 07:06 PM
I heard mixed things about damsels, but I really like the color of yellow tails. I do not want blue green reef chromis.

1) Does an odd number of them diffuse aggression?

2) What's your personal experience?

IkeG
06/04/2016, 07:16 PM
My personal experience with a blue and yellow tail Damsel is that he's the biggest punk in my tank. He's really good at running away from my Clarky. He hasn't grown much (I have a reputation for over feeding a variety of frozen and live) in the past year. I have heard by multiple experienced people in the hobby that they take nips off of other fish, like destroy their fins and what not. Fortunately I have not experienced this. So in the end of the day is a $5 fish worth injuring or killing your nice purple tang? Maybe I'm lucky because my Clarky bullies him and keeps him in check.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

saf1
06/04/2016, 07:39 PM
Azure's are similar, and do well. I have a pair that spawn and treat the other fish good enough. Nothing major. Also had good luck with Talbots.

Starcki are also nice, larger. A bit more difficult to get.

ca1ore
06/04/2016, 08:01 PM
I've kept yellow tails on multiple occasions. While I never seem to end up long-term with more than just a single fish, never had any issue with them either. I do tend to keep a large fish population, with a number of larger species, so the YT never has a chance to become a problem. In my current tank, the YT is about #40 on the pecking order.

ThRoewer
06/04/2016, 08:07 PM
I had pairs of them with my breeding percula and they didn't do any damage.
Singles tend to be jerks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SteveVai9708
06/04/2016, 08:20 PM
Okay sounds good! I guess I'll get pair and quarantine it once I'm done quarantining my goby. Thanks for your help I appreciate it!

polaravic
06/04/2016, 10:11 PM
Keep in mind that ThRoewer has a 200 gal tank. If your tank is smaller, your experience might not be as positive. Damsels sometimes need a LOT of room to be well behaved.

polaravic

SteveVai9708
06/04/2016, 10:21 PM
Keep in mind that ThRoewer has a 200 gal tank. If your tank is smaller, your experience might not be as positive. Damsels sometimes need a LOT of room to be well behaved.

polaravic

I have 65 gallon. Would you say thats good? I didn't realize most of the replies saying their good were from people with 200+ gallons, but one person has 40 gallon breeder. Anyone else has here within 40-65g range that had a bad/good experience?

Fish4udog
06/04/2016, 10:29 PM
Damsels are aggressive i have a 75 gallon reef they bully the smaller more expensive fish. I would only use them to cycle my tank . Have tried different Damsels always same results wont buy them i like a peaceful tank

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

ThRoewer
06/04/2016, 10:33 PM

polaravic
I had those pairs without issues in 25 gallon tanks in a breeding system.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ComforablyNumb
06/04/2016, 11:31 PM
Just removed two of them from my tank yesterday...one started nipping at my stylo's and I wasn't
taking the chance on the other one developing the same habit.

Sapelo
06/05/2016, 05:41 AM
We've had a pair for several years now. They were a bit aggressive in our 90 gallon but have not bothered anybody now that they are in the 300.Nice enough fish from our experience.

OrionN
06/05/2016, 05:42 AM
I keep 1 pair in a 65 gal with other fish and anemones. They lasted 8 years I think died of old age. They spawned many many times and attached their eggs on the glass. Very mild manner and very bright beautiful fish. Hands down the best dose of blue and yellow for your dollars