PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in after 5 years - questions

pamlee78
06/04/2016, 09:07 PM
Getting back into saltwater after a 5 year hiatus.
I purchased a JBJ 8 gallon set up off Craigs list with a few softies I haven't kept before. A leather ( unfamiliar type), some blue tipped polyps and green star polyps. All the water parameters are normal ( guy had it for a month he said).
All the corals are doing ok-the green stars are slowly opening. There is nothing but rock rubble on the bottom. I want to add sand and put in some rock. I'll be sculpting my own aqua scape with Apoxie Sculpt. Should I leave all alone till I get the aqua scape sculpted and then add the sand? Add sand now? I ordered a skimmer and a ATO system for nano tanks (Tunze brand). There's a small power head and not sure where is best to point it.
Lights are blue/white LEDS 10watts with a dimmer. Need more light? I tried a small LED grow light on an arm - the corals closed up.
Any advice? I got 5 gallons of water from the LFS to use while I mix mine up

CStrickland
06/04/2016, 09:36 PM
I might grab another small tank or even a Rubbermaid tub. Switch everyone over there with a few rocks for filtration; and clean the tank, aquascape, add sand, break in the skimmer, and then move the coral into their new happy home. Then you can use the temp setup to quarentine new additions. That rubbley substrate tends to really collect crud. Personally, I'd rather not try to keep everything happy while removing it.

Also, because leathers emit toxins as a defense to being upset, and you will likely upset them sooner or later, it's not a bad idea to have some carbon on hand. There's bags and pads you can buy that don't need a reactor.

I can't see the coral in your pic, are the blue ones clove polyps maybe?

Welcome back!

pamlee78
06/04/2016, 10:02 PM
My iPhone has issues under the lights. I tried to take video but the site isn't letting me upload it.
Good advice though, might as well get started on the aqua scape while I'm waiting for my skimmer and ATO to arrive.
I also have a cute planted 5 gallon Fluval Spec V that I'm putting in a DIY CO2 system in.
I'm going to film my sculpting and the final results as I go with the Pico reef. I'm amazed to see advancements in filtration/lights/etc., since I last had tanks in 2011! And the prices of corals has gone WAY up! Fish have gone down - but I don't plan on fish. Probably just corals and a shrimp or something.