PDA

View Full Version : Help!

alexkharden
06/05/2016, 01:29 AM
Backstory:

I previously bought two Marine Bettas from an online vendor. I put both in quarantine, and both died within 4 days. All of the other fish that I've quarantined have done fine, so I don't attribute the Betta deaths to my procedures, although I'm not above being proved wrong. I decided it must be the vendor source, so I ordered one from my lfs and picked it up day before yesterday.

It died yesterday. Here's the problem I find myself in/placed myself in. I decided to skip quarantine. I put it directly into the tank, and exposed all of my other fish to whatever it had. I'm 99% that the "whatever" it died from is Enteric Redmouth Disease.

So how screwed am I? Does anyone know about this disease? I've been able to find little in it, because apparently it isn't overly found in hobbyist setups. The little I've been able to find says it's a gram negative bacterial infection that's generally transmitted by fish to fish contact. I also saw a mention of transmission via poop, but no description of how that type of transmission would occur. I haven't been able to find much else.

Please help save me from my own stupidity!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ThRoewer
06/05/2016, 05:00 AM
Marine Bettas are among the hardiest fish there are and to kill them, something must be terribly wrong along the supply chain.
4 and for sure 2 days are not enough from perfectly fine to dead if it was an infection. So whatever killed them must either have been a toxin in your system (this can be pretty much excluded for the last since the other fish are fine) or the fish came already extremely sick.

1. Which online vendor did you use and where did your LFS order the fish from?

Blue Zoo's livestock comes from Pacific Aqua Farms, and LiveAquaria has their fish drop-shipped from Quality Marine. So depending where you and your LFS ordered from they may have come from the same source.

2. How did the fish look like when they arrived?

3. What where the symptoms in detail?

alexkharden
06/05/2016, 07:02 AM
1. I got the first two from blue zoo. I have no idea where the lfs ordered from.

2. The fish i got yesterday looked fine except for some red on the mouth. I didn't know what ERM was at that point and just thought he'd scraped it during transit. He rapidly deteriorated, and by the time he died his lower jaw was sloughing off. The first one died from severe ammonia poisoning due to a FedEx shipping screw up. The second one....honestly I don't know. Scales falling off, rapid shadow breathing, death. When it arrived it looked ok, kinda sluggish but nothing else notable. As dark as they are, it's difficult to see.

All three displayed signs of an internal parasite via dangling long white stringy poop. Number one I tried to treat with general cure. Number two I tried Metro and Praia-pro. Number three I didn't have time to use anything.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk