PDA

View Full Version : Chemi clean killed sps

10GalReef
06/05/2016, 11:32 AM
Got fed up of my cyano and used some chemi clean. I used half the recommended dose and did a 50% water change 24 hours later as I was paranoid about it killing my livestock.
Everything was fine for the next few days. The tank never looked better. The week after my montiporas and acropora bleached and xenia melted away :(
My zoas have been closed for a few days and my feather duster worms won't come out.
I've been doing my weekly 15% water changes.
Tested my water and everything's normal.. SG 1.025, 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate, ph 8.2, 0 phosphate, alk 8, calc 450
What's going on here? Could my water be too clean?

Sk8r
06/05/2016, 12:05 PM
Chemi clean is pretty rough on any tank. I tried it once early on and lost copepods and all sorts of invert life. Lights-out and a good skimmer action are the best solution for cyano. The tank will recover over time, but the corals may be toast. Good skimming will help.

DrPheel
06/05/2016, 12:13 PM
I doubt the water is too clean , but I do think its a downside of using the chemi clean. What did you try before using this product ? cyano is a weird bacteria and it is not that hard to get under control without the use of chemicals. I was told by my LFS not to use it unless my tank is a few years old. I also had a bad outbreak due to not understanding how bio-pellets work and my LFS put me on a strict maintenance schedule and by the 3rd week I was rid of GHA and cyano. Unfortunately at this point your best bet is to keep up with regular water changes and hope for the best.

Did it at least take care of the cyano ? if no, please post back and i will elaborate on what I did to take care of mine.

DrPheel
06/05/2016, 12:21 PM
just found this in another thread : http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2453082

10GalReef
06/05/2016, 01:03 PM
I was scrubbing the rocks almost every day and it would grow back quickly even on my snails shell. just about every inch of my tank was covered with a thick layer every morning. I haven't seen any cyano since using chemi clean. It didn't effect my fish, other inverts and mushrooms. And I dont have a skimmer..

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

davocean
06/05/2016, 01:11 PM
I don't like chemiclean, it's a very last resort thing IMO, all my sps browned out bad last time I used it, and that was years ago, have not used it since.

Sapelo
06/05/2016, 04:15 PM
You're almost certainly going to need a skimmer if you hope to keep coral.
What sort of filtration are you using in your tank?

davocean
06/05/2016, 04:22 PM
Well that depends on a number of things and looking sn being 10galreef I'd say I've seen a number of small tanks that looked awesome and did not have a skimmer, but you have to be pretty diligent on WC's w/ good water, which is more doable on a smaller tank.