PDA

View Full Version : what ato

wake2life
06/06/2016, 01:19 PM
what ato do you guys recommend....we plan on a 32 gallon trash can full of ro/di water. we are evaporating around a gallon a day...my parents and the reef store guy here in town recommend the Spectra Pure Liter Meter.. what do you guys recommend

C.Eymann
06/06/2016, 01:20 PM
I personally like Tunze's, heard good things about spectrapures too.

oseymour
06/06/2016, 01:28 PM
I've never used the Spectrapure - I've used the Tunze Osmolator for years and it's never failed.

It has 2 different sensors, an optical sensor that has no moving parts that can't get stuck because of salt and a float switch as a backup. It also turns the pump off automatically after 10 minutes.

The replacement pumps are cheap and are about $25.

DivingTheWorld
06/06/2016, 01:35 PM
+1, I also use a Tunze Osmolator. I've been using it for a couple years now with no failures. I keep a backup pump for it, but I've never needed to use it. They're pricey, but worth every penny.

My tank also evaporates about 1 gallon/day. I only have room for a 5g reservoir under my stand, but when I go on vacation I hook up a 32g Brute and it works great. It looks terrible sitting in the middle of our living room though, so vacations only!

CafeReef
06/06/2016, 01:45 PM
I have the Tunze as well, but I honestly have heard very good things about the spectrapure lifter.

I have their RODI maker and the quality definitely is there.

solitude127
06/06/2016, 04:48 PM
what ato do you guys recommend....we plan on a 32 gallon trash can full of ro/di water. we are evaporating around a gallon a day...my parents and the reef store guy here in town recommend the Spectra Pure Liter Meter.. what do you guys recommend

You can't go wrong with the liter meter nor the Tunze. I personally use Avast ATO and like the Liter meter, it has a pressure sensor and has been rock solid for me.

azjohnny
06/06/2016, 08:54 PM
I have the Spectrapure UPLC-II which is their best ATO, very good system and a great pump. I prefer the Spectrapure pressure switch over the Tunze eye. The Spectrapure peristaltic pump is much better than the Tunze.

If you do go with a Tunze I would remove their pump and use a Spectrapure slave pump. Its a DC pump so you can't mess up the wiring, if you wire it backwards it wont hurt the pump it will just run backwards

Bent
06/06/2016, 09:35 PM
Made my own from autotopoff.com

Rancherlee
06/07/2016, 06:30 AM
32 gallon Brute on a stand hidden away, 30' of 1/8" tube under the baseboards, and a mechanical float valve in the sump. Not a single problem in 4+ years. The gravity fed 1/8" tube has no problems keeping up with 1.5-2 gallons a day on my 210 (280 total) system.

RedStangGA
06/07/2016, 10:57 AM
I bought into the Tunze hype and haven't been disappointed. Only had it for a few months though. Before I've used the Hydor and an Apex break out box with float switches.

tmc1313
06/07/2016, 11:41 AM
Tunze Osmolator since 2011. Hasn't failed me yet (knock on wood).