PDA

View Full Version : Phosphates R Us

QuiGonJay
06/06/2016, 01:27 PM
Any suggestions or good links to recommended practices for phosphate control? Having issues with bubble algae - nitrates are a bit less than 10 but phosphates are somewhere between .4 and .6 (those colors are tough to read).

A bit at a loss as to how it's getting bumped up lately. Some random info:

*45 gallon all in one - about 2 years old (problem started about 2 months back)
* Always use RODI for top off
* Water change every 2 weeks.
* Feed once a day - only what they consume in 1 minute (goal is to let nothing hit the ground)
* Softie and LPS reef tank.
* about 40 pounds live rock.
* Use hang on back skimmer.
* Use ChemiPure Elite and Purigen in filter racks.

Perhaps it has always been that high, but my rock urchin kept the algae at bay (I removed him as he decided to munch on my gorgonian?). Manually removing tons of bubble algae each water change - getting a bit frustrated.

Appreciate any links/advice/mystical voodoo solutions/etc. :)

J.

Scorpius
06/06/2016, 01:33 PM
What test kit are you using?
How much water is changed every two weeks?
How many fish do you have?
What kind of flow is in the tank?
Do you run a skimmer? Filter socks? Refugium?
When was the last time to changed RO/DI filters and membranes?

QuiGonJay
06/06/2016, 01:53 PM
Using red sea test kit (newly purchased). Volume of water change is about 15 to 20 percent. Rodi is purchased from LFS as I don't have the space/funds at the moment. I do run a skimmer (HOB1 aquamaxx). REMINDER Fish are 2 clowns, 2 pajama cards, 1 orchid dottyback. Small refugium in back but can't imagine it does any good (I run it for fun and to house my hick hiking crab. :)). Flow is good, supplemented with the smaller footprint gore and use oscillating heads on the standard return flow valves. Ca is 430, mg is 1350, alk is 7.3 (low, working on that too). Thanks

J

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

QuiGonJay
06/06/2016, 01:54 PM
Don't know what the 'reminder' is for, spellchecker added that , sorry!

QuiGonJay
06/06/2016, 01:54 PM
And 'gore' should be 'gyre'. Freakin' spellcheck!

OrQidz
06/06/2016, 03:24 PM
Don't you love spellcheck, haha. It sounds like you have a good maintenance schedule for your tank. I feel your pain because I hate, hate, hate bubble algae beyond any other algae. At least it comes off fairly easily. Are you being careful not to spread it around when you remove it?

Maybe a couple more frequent or bigger water changes might help. It could be that things were just balanced out with the urchin grazing and now the algae is winning the battle. Also, is LFS's RO/DI in good shape? (ie they haven't missed out changing the membranes or anything)

QuiGonJay
06/06/2016, 03:39 PM
I'm kind of thinking along your lines that the removal of the bulldozer, I mean urchin, got things out of whack and I just haven't stabilized. For removal, yes, removing rock to scrape when I can, using siphon to catch when I can't. But some will slip through. And I'm with you, don't know why but it really drives me nuts. I think it's just the round shininess of it.

Scorpius
06/06/2016, 03:47 PM
I'd seriously look into your own RO/DI unit. That could be your problem.

BigEZ77
06/06/2016, 06:10 PM
What about GFO or another type of Phosphate remover?

QuiGonJay
06/06/2016, 09:44 PM
Haven't tried gfo, you need a media reactor for that right?

PilotMaximus
06/07/2016, 12:38 AM
I'm running GFO in a bag. Like you i have a nuisance algae problem due to phosphates. Also like you I lost my best mower. It was Sea Hare that got caught too close to the business end of an intake tube. Got him out and he lived for a bit longer but sadly didnt make it. A face only a momma could love but he'll be missed. LOL

Oh yeah GFO in bag is working great!!

Potatohead
06/07/2016, 01:24 AM
Haven't tried gfo, you need a media reactor for that right?

GFO will get rid of a vast majority of your problem, it's better in a reactor but you can use a bag, just have to tumble it by hand every few days.

undbulsu
06/07/2016, 11:47 AM
When was the last time you changed your bag?

QuiGonJay
06/07/2016, 12:02 PM
I'm going to try a bag and then test again after 4 or 5 days, replace if needed and try again, see if I can get stable.

serbusfish
06/07/2016, 12:26 PM
I will say from personal experience phosphate shouldn't be causing the bubble algae, my phos and nitrate were low yet I still had loads of it (the red variety). I added a Yellow Tang and he munched it all away. I had previously tried Emerald Crabs but they didnt touch it.