PDA

View Full Version : Bubble King external plumbing

jscace
06/06/2016, 01:38 PM
I was about to start plumbing my BK 300 deluxe external and I noticed that there was a 30cm limit on the length of the horizontal discharge pipe. Does this mean after 30 cm the pipe needs to go completely vertical?

My skimmer sits so the bottom of the discharge pipe is roughly 16" above the water line of the sump. I was planning first adapting the 63mm pipe to 2" and having a roughly 10-11" horizontal run, then a 45 degree fitting and about 18" of pipe down to the sump. This is to get the skimmer to discharge into my sump's bubble trap instead of having it discharge near the return pump. Will this work or will this still be putting too much back pressure on the skimmer?

Thanks

slief
06/06/2016, 02:39 PM
You should be fine. I would however recommend a slight angle downward the whole way if at all possible. What you don't want is any pressure on the drain side as that will result in the level inside the skimmer being impacted. The water needs to flow freely from the skimmer to the sump. If there is any back pressure, you are likely to experience surging and or increased water levels inside the skimmer body. That said, 63mm is closer to 2.5". Reducing down to 2" is likely to restrict the flow. Especially if there is a horizontal run of any length. As such, i would try to go larger if you can in terms of imperial pipe diameter from the skimmer drain line to the sump although if you keep a constant downward path from the skimmer to the sump, a 2" line should be OK.

jscace
06/07/2016, 09:12 AM
Thanks,
I can set the discharge pipe to slope downward about 30 degrees the whole way using the attached elbow instead. Pipe length would be about 24" but angled downwards the entire length.

slief
06/07/2016, 10:16 AM
Thanks,
I can set the discharge pipe to slope downward about 30 degrees the whole way using the attached elbow instead. Pipe length would be about 24" but angled downwards the entire length.

That should work just fine.