PDA

View Full Version : Putting silicone around installed bulkheads for extra protection?

Tango451
06/06/2016, 04:08 PM
Any pros and cons of this and has anyone done this before or used a different thing to accomplish it?

benihana
06/06/2016, 04:51 PM
Not sure of the cons, but I did this just recently as there was a slow drip...it worked perfectly...no drip anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GimpyFin
06/06/2016, 04:54 PM
IMO, bulkheads don't need/shouldn't have any silicone added to them (During install or afterwards.) It's just adding an area for potential problems. Plus, if you ever need or want to change plumbing/bulkheads later you have a silicone mess to deal with. As long as the bulkhead is in good shape, install the wet side gasket against clean/dry glass. Once it's hand tight, just go an extra 1/4 to maybe 1/2 turn with pliers to finish. That's really all that's needed.

Tango451
06/06/2016, 05:27 PM
Benihana- you applied it around the wet side of the bulkhead right?

And Brian, I agree but also figured why not if I can do it now as an extra safeguard, I figure if there is a need to change out the bulkhead etc, dealing with silicone around it would be the least of my worries as once the bulkead is loosend it can be popped up vertically and if not I could always cut it. I am most concerned with the silicone around a properly installed bulkhead if it will mess with the rubber gasket etc

JonezNReef
06/06/2016, 05:40 PM
I have always put silicone around bulkheads when I install them. My first bulkhead had a small drip when I installed it so I like the extra even if it's not needed. I have a few tanks that have been running with the bulk heads siliconed in with no problems yet. Guess it's all a personal preference and what helps you sleep at night. Plus if I need to change anything in the future I can just use rubbing alcohol and elbow grease or just replace it.

Just my $.01

billdogg
06/06/2016, 05:42 PM
It is no different than putting a band-aid on Hoover dam when it springs a leak. It may work for a while. It could even be a long while. It is, however, still a band-aid.

GimpyFin
06/06/2016, 05:42 PM
Benihana- you applied it around the wet side of the bulkhead right?

And Brian, I agree but also figured why not if I can do it now as an extra safeguard, I figure if there is a need to change out the bulkhead etc, dealing with silicone around it would be the least of my worries as once the bulkead is loosend it can be popped up vertically and if not I could always cut it. I am most concerned with the silicone around a properly installed bulkhead if it will mess with the rubber gasket etc

You really do not want silicone around the rubber gasket, if that's what you are asking. (I only mentioned the silicone mess as a secondary thought.) Some people do overthink this with bulkheads, but the bulkhead gasket applied to clean/dry surface is all that's needed. Applying silicone is just adding a possible inhibitor to the bulkhead working properly. IMO, you're less likely to have a leak or issues with a properly installed bulkhead than one that has been doctored up with silicone.

Meshmez
06/07/2016, 12:11 PM
You really do not want silicone around the rubber gasket, if that's what you are asking. (I only mentioned the silicone mess as a secondary thought.) Some people do overthink this with bulkheads, but the bulkhead gasket applied to clean/dry surface is all that's needed. Applying silicone is just adding a possible inhibitor to the bulkhead working properly. IMO, you're less likely to have a leak or issues with a properly installed bulkhead than one that has been doctored up with silicone.

I believe he is talking about installing the bulkhead (correctly) and then going back and putting silicone around the outside edge. I dont really see this being an issue, however i also dont really see it being a benefit.

silicone on the gasket (between gasket and flange or gasket and glass) is an absolute NO.

GimpyFin
06/07/2016, 12:26 PM
I believe he is talking about installing the bulkhead (correctly) and then going back and putting silicone around the outside edge. I dont really see this being an issue, however i also dont really see it being a benefit.

silicone on the gasket (between gasket and flange or gasket and glass) is an absolute NO.

Yeah, I wasn't sure. In one of the earlier posts he asked benihana to verify that he installed it on the wet side. I agree with you, a definite no-no on the wet side. Doesn't really do anything for you on the dry side, though, either.

Meshmez
06/07/2016, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure. In one of the earlier posts he asked benihana to verify that he installed it on the wet side. I agree with you, a definite no-no on the wet side. Doesn't really do anything for you on the dry side, though, either.

if the bulkhead is installed with the flange in the water the gasket should be on that side too. this would be the wet side.

I believe he means installing it like this, and then afterwards putting a bead of silicone around the edge of the bulkhead/gasket. This is what i was saying I dont see as being good or bad as long as the bulkhead/gasket are installed first and correctly.

you never want to put silicone on the flat surface of the gasket that touches the glass or the bulkhead.

ca1ore
06/08/2016, 10:57 AM
I have used silicone on the flange/gasket side of many bulkheads over the years without any kind of operational or performance issues. While it may not be necessary in theory, adding silicone (I use a bead between the flange and the gasket and a second bead between the gasket and the glass) does make the bulkhead less sensitive to leaking if bumped or banged by accident. Consequently I use it on those bulkhead installations that would be 'inconvenient' to have to reseat in the event of a dripping problem; like closed loops or any going through the bottom of the tank. For more 'traditional' bulkhead locations (such as at the bottom of the overflow) I do not use silicone as they are easy to reseat as necessary. About the only problem I have encountered with siliconing in a bulkhead is that it makes the thing a major pain to remove.

If you are going to use silicone, plan for a week to cure.

salty joe
06/08/2016, 06:45 PM
I agree that when everything is just right, silicone is not needed. On the other hand,
I use silicone on the wet side between the gasket and glass. But, and this is key, I barely hand tighten the bulkhead then let it cure for a couple days before snugging it up.

If you snug it up before the silicone cures, the gasket can slip out because the uncured silicone is slick. I've used this method for decades on oil pans, sinks, bulkheads etc. without a single problem.

StrangeDejavu
06/08/2016, 07:29 PM
I had to do this on my 40. I ordered thread x thread bulkheads from BRS and had to use a thread x slip PVC adapter to connect it to my plumbing. It was at this point I had a slow but steady drip. The plumber at HD said plumber's tape is all I needed since there wouldn't be any considerable pressure going through the plumbing. I started out with 2 wraps and inched my way to something like 10, still leaked. Finally, I put silicone on the threads, tightened it onto the bulkhead and made a seal all the way around the outside with silicone. Never leaked again.

http://i.imgur.com/8Kffbo7l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nogi1R5l.jpg