PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Myrtle Beach this summer...

zelie_dad
06/07/2016, 07:01 AM
If you are planning a vacation to Myrtle Beach, SC this summer, take a short trip north to Fort Fisher, NC and go to the public aquarium there. Take the ferry from Southport across to Fort Fisher for only $5! Once off the boat take a left, travel a mile or so and check out the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher. Pretty inexpensive to get in, about $12, I believe and kids under 2 are free. For comparison, the Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach, is about $30/person.

The only down side is that they only have one tank with live corals, but overall I really enjoyed going and would recommend it to anyone going to Myrtle Beach.

Here is there reef tank.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160607/270eb533259bb58e2ce92ba07120b21e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Xxero
06/07/2016, 12:03 PM
+1! I have been there also, but it was at least 20 years ago. I remember they had an enormous Clown Triggerfish that I couldn't keep my eyes off of.

I also enjoyed the ferry ride over, and then spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing on the shore. Great place! :bigeyes:

Bent
06/07/2016, 12:15 PM
Im headed to myrtle at the end of the month!

We call it WV Hawaii.

zelie_dad
06/07/2016, 12:49 PM

We call it WV Hawaii.
Definitely check it out.

FF337
06/07/2016, 12:58 PM

We call it WV Hawaii.

I'll be there too. :wavehand:

jrp1588
06/07/2016, 01:08 PM
My parents alternate taking my brother and me every year to Myrtle Beach. Maybe I'll check it out next summer. Are their other displays a lot better than Ripley's? Doesn't seem like their coral tank is as impressive as Ripley's.

zelie_dad
06/07/2016, 08:26 PM
For $12, it's hard to beat. It's more themed about the aquatic life around the area, both fresh and saltwater. Also, it's nonprofit, so take for what it's worth.

Bdial
06/08/2016, 06:36 AM

We call it WV Hawaii.

Going Saturday.
Wv Hawaii. Ha. Funny. :rollface:

zelie_dad
06/08/2016, 07:04 AM
Going Saturday.
Wv Hawaii. Ha. Funny. :rollface:
If you want some authentic Mexican food for cheap go to La Poblanita. It is in a strip mall next to a Mexican grocery store. They don't serve booze though, but the food is out of this world. If your adventurous try the tongue or tripe tacos. $2 each.

If BBQ is your thing, try Little Pigs BBQ. Their pulled pork sandwich is awesome.

Bdial
06/08/2016, 08:34 AM
If you want some authentic Mexican food for cheap go to La Poblanita. It is in a strip mall next to a Mexican grocery store. They don't serve booze though, but the food is out of this world. If your adventurous try the tongue or tripe tacos. $2 each.

If BBQ is your thing, try Little Pigs BBQ. Their pulled pork sandwich is awesome.

Thanks

Bdial
06/10/2016, 11:02 AM
Any shops or places we should go? I'm gonna visit sea critters near the airport. From what I've read it's pretty nice.

zelie_dad
06/10/2016, 11:13 AM
Any shops or places we should go? I'm gonna visit sea critters near the airport. From what I've read it's pretty nice.
It's a nice little place. Check his hours before though. The day I went he was only open from 6-9 PM. The owner is the one who turned me on to the Fort Fisher aquarium.

By the way, it isn't near the Myrtle Beach airport. It is near a smaller airport in North Myrtle.

Capt.George's seafood buffet across from Broadway is awesome.

FF337
06/10/2016, 06:12 PM
Rockefellers Raw Bar in N. Myrtle is my go to. She crab soup and steam pot. Mannnnnnnn

Going next week. Nice of my in-laws to buy a house there.

Bdial
06/10/2016, 06:30 PM
We always stay in north myrtle. Gosh, nearly twenty years now. First time I've heard of sea critters. I know he's open on Saturdays conveniently after check out time. I'll probably pick me up some stuff.

Deberber
06/11/2016, 03:21 PM
Just want to say, I used to volunteer there a few years ago. If you are looking for coral and reef fish, don't be too excited. It definitely is more geared to the wildlife in outer-banks and local area. Still a cool place though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk