PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to keep a nano tank

lamchoppy
06/07/2016, 10:35 AM
I've been wanting to start one up, but everyone keeps telling me it is very hard because of the fluctuation of the water parameters.

I've been keep fresh forever I think I want to venture into the darkside but start small before moving big.

Animagus
06/07/2016, 10:43 AM
As long as you stay on top of it there really no different than a large reef tank IMO, only on a smaller scale. You'll still have to do water changes, you might have to dose, top offs will most likely have to be done manually etc.

CSalty
06/07/2016, 10:46 AM
What size will the tank be? It really all depends on the person and how much time they are willing to put into the tank.

SSgt Saltwater

cougareyes
06/07/2016, 10:49 AM
Do it, it's alot of fun. My 29 and 30 was definitely easier than my 14. I had them set up with auto top off, fans and heaters on a controller, and dosers for ca and alk. They were just as stable as my 90g is now. It's a great way to get into it, but don't think it's going to be cheap.

Ztous
06/07/2016, 11:54 AM
The problem with small tanks is the vast majority of people set them up and then want fish or coral that don't fit a small tank. The cost difference between a 30G and a 75G isn't much in the long run but if your spending that twice it will hurt.

I would suggest you start as big as you possible can if you ever plan on getting a larger tank.

Reeferz412
06/07/2016, 11:57 AM
Honestly, staying on top of salinity, and your basic parameters is what makes it difficult. They will swing quicker than a larger system.Stocking options are also limited. Aside from that, everything else is basically easier.

Jeff4777
06/07/2016, 11:59 AM
I have nano at work that goes unattended for a while every week. No problems

Sk8r
06/07/2016, 12:02 PM
My advice is get a tank big enough to automate the salinity with an autotopoff and reservoir, and read the sticky (red arrow) in the part where it talks about dirt-simple chemistry. A 30 with 2 double Penguin filters could do it nicely without a sump, with equipment that won't cost you an arm and a leg. It'll might support hardy zoas and mushrooms, and very small, veyr simple fish. If you want to go for a 30 all-in-one that functions like a modern marine tank, it'll cost, but you might pick up a used one somewhere that would give you the experience. Understand that marine fish grow big and live long, so doing a lot of research (as you are starting to do) before getting in is a good idea.

bshow24
06/07/2016, 12:20 PM
People are right, they are more difficult because of swings. You really have to keep up with top off and water changes, otherwise a crash is likely.

Look at it this way, if you lose a gallon of water from evaporation in a 125 gallon tank, it doesn't cause many problems because its less than 1%...you lose a gallon of water in a 14 gallon nano, your parameters just changed dramatically. For a fish only tank, not as much of an issue, but if you want to keep corals and other more difficult creatures, a larger tank is best.

If I were you, I would look into a Red Sea Reefer tank or something similar, as it provides you more water volume with the included sump (where you can hide all your extra equipment), includes an auto top off device, and will help make the transition a little bit easier!

Scorpius
06/07/2016, 12:23 PM
I always advise new saltwater hobby folk to start with the largest tank they can afford. 55 gal is my minimum for a newbie.

Sk8r
06/07/2016, 12:53 PM
The basic answer is, if you do weekly water changes, and HAVE an autotopoff with ro/di water (salinity control), AND keep your critters within recommended levels of complexity for that size tank, AND have proper lighting for them, plus good circulation, you won't have problems. 30 is the commonest size; 50 is a good middle of the road, really good for corals (because you can get good light coverage), and 100 if you don't want a lot of restrictions on what fish you can keep.

Potatohead
06/07/2016, 01:08 PM
Using an ATO and setting it up to come on often is a good idea. I have a 35g system and my topoff comes on after only about 1/8 gallon has evaporated, so salinity stays pretty level. If you set it up so it uses a gallon at a time you're going to have much bigger swings, especially if you start dosing kalk or something down the line.

jlmawp
06/07/2016, 02:12 PM
I have a 9-gallon with 7 corals, a fish, a shrimp, a couple hermits, and 4 snails.

I'm pushing the limits on bio-load with such a small tank, but even with that, my tank still looks fantastic if I don't touch it for 2 weeks (but this is a rare occurrence - I am a very weekly maintenance kind of guy). After that, the algae creeps in, and things start to get a little hairy.

If you have 1-2 hours a week to dedicate to a water change and a good blowing-off-of-the-rocks and sand-siphoning, you will be able to keep up with the demand no problem. Be careful about over-feeding, and make sure you plan appropriately for bio-load, and also the growth of all you corals/critters!

WaReefer458
06/07/2016, 02:59 PM
go as big as you can... I had no problems with a 75 I had for years. Broke it down and setup a 40 thinking it would be easier on me... I was way wrong. salinity swings a bit and so does alk. Other than that no real issues.

heathlindner25
06/07/2016, 06:38 PM
You can top off with freshwater every night when you do your feeding, there's no need for an auto top off on a nano.

OrQidz
06/07/2016, 09:53 PM
Not so much hard to keep, as less margin for error. If life gets in the way and you aren't able to top off, or if you make rookie mistakes (it happens to us all!), or if the room the tank is in gets hotter or colder than you think, or the water quality goes south, etc, the tank can be affected a lot more easily and quickly.

In some ways, they're easier. Less RO/DI to have around for topping off or making fresh SW. Less buckets hauled around.

I have an open top 29 biocube (volume probably more like 24-25 gallons) and it evaps 1/2 gallon a day in warm weather. I top up daily but I would run into trouble pretty quick if I didn't. I'm definitely thinking of getting an ATO.

aznflyfisherman
06/08/2016, 08:40 AM
Nano tank is easy if you dont keep messing with it.. Be patient n let the tank fully cycle, dont add too much bio load n dont over feed. I have been keeping a 6 gallon cube wuth soft corals only because my lighting is that great. I do a 1.5 to 2g maybe 4times a year. I recent dose the two part a/b for nano tanks. I have a few hermits n about two snails. Fish is a clown n a bicolor blenny. I would recommend the 12g jbj or 14g biocube. Also imo it's easier to do water change n top off if you dint have an auto top off setup. If you want one with open top you can get the tank only new for under $100.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10227&pictureid=74574

mallard
06/08/2016, 09:24 AM
If you're just getting into reefing and are looking to get your feet, a nano tank is a great way. Some people love the small tanks and never go larger, or others quickly go larger. Also, if you live an apartment or don't have much space, a nano is great. As people have mentioned, they can be harder due to swings and equipment, but today there are a ton of products that cater to this type of setup. If you want to jump in, just do it. Keep reading and asking for advice.

mandarin_goby
06/08/2016, 09:40 AM
It's hard to keep a nano because you'll want to upgrade :)

I started with a 12 long and had it for a year, flourished beautifully, really easy to maintain. Then, I got a 40 breeder. Rani it for about 1.5 yrs. Then, a 57 rimless, ran for over a year. Now, I have a 75 and I'm finally happy.

lamchoppy
06/09/2016, 10:27 AM
wow lots to learn here.
I just picked up an ada 90p which is about 45 gallons but that will be my main planted tank and will be using my old 60p (17 gallons) for a nano tank.

as for stock I don't know what I would want I usually just go to a store and take a look at things and buy what I like, but will be taking advices here on whether they work in a nano or not.

bshow24
06/09/2016, 02:00 PM
You'll only want a couple fish...and they'll have to be small like gobies, clowns, and some wrasses.

That's the other issue with nano's, less choice of fish!

aznflyfisherman
06/09/2016, 03:41 PM
Updated 6g nano..

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10227&pictureid=75301

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10227&pictureid=75300

LJA
06/10/2016, 03:25 AM
Don't think anyone mentioned it yet so I'll suggest that temperature is a significant concern. I had a 10g with a lid and light just above the lid and I couldn't keep my temp below 86 and it would go as high as 88. I didn't have the ability to setup an ATO and evap was huge so hence the lid. The tank actually did OK for a while but some of my corals were stressed. Had an acan coloney die on me likely due to temp.

Deberber
06/10/2016, 08:58 AM
If you want to start with nano, I'd say to start with at least a 20-25 gallon. Any smaller would be too hard as you will probably make a good many mistakes, if anything like me. Personally, I now have a 29 gallon bc which isn't hard at all. Just keep up with water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattGatten
06/10/2016, 09:08 AM
I started with a 120 and I'm glad I did personally. It's nice to know I can go on vacation for a week with an ATO and auto-feeder and things will be 'ok' when I return. They all have risks unattended but the small tank can 'go-sideways' much faster. I just got back from a week of vacation. A little extra algae on the glass and substrate is all I had. That was yesterday. Today, a 15-ish gallon water change, gravel siphon, glass scrubbing, and some testing of my parameters are all that is on my agenda.

You can do it. You will just need to supervise it more closely. Good luck!!

Matt

NS Mike D
06/10/2016, 01:02 PM
Big is easier but more expensive. Check out the nano forum - the industry now caters to smaller tanks with great features like built in sumps with compartments that can be used as refugiums, house skimmers etc. Folks like live aquaria sell "nano packs" for corals and clean up crew.

LEDs compliment the artistic decor of the "nano cube".

With nanos, less is more. a pair of clowns, a few pieces of rock, a couple of corals and some use of empty space can be very dramatic.

That being said, do a nano because either that is what you really want or if you are limited in space and can only fit a nano. If you are starting small because you want to put your toe in the water and make the transformation to salt water, you'll quickly want to upgrade - and even though nanos are not as expensive as large tanks, they are not cheap as to make it economical to be considered them starter platforms.

I have a 29 gal - my first attempt at saltwater. It's a basic tank (not a cube or specialty nano). It's all I can fit in my living room. It's a vanilla reef tank, a bit over stocked. Being over stocked (not from design, but rather from lack of expertise) I run a 5 gal HOB cheato packed sump, biopellets and GFO reactor and a skimmer. While I love my tank and how it's developing. Had I been able to fit a larger tank in my living room, I'd be looking to upgrade as I type and seeking to recoup pennies on the thousand+ dollars selling all the nano hardware. I also, wonder, knowing what I know now, would I have opted for a more dramatic look of a minimalist nano cube. I don't know.

I do read more and more posts from "tweener" tank owners like myself - 30 - 90 gals give or take - tanks that some nanoist think are to big to be a nano, but traditionalist would advise against as being too small. We are proof that these tanks can indeed keep reef life successfully.