PDA

View Full Version : Two different species of male flasher wrasse paired

Tripod1404
06/07/2016, 01:15 PM
Hi guys, I have a very unusual situation in my tank. I have one male carpenters flasher wrasse and one male linespot flasher wrasse. Both of the fish are terminal phase males with distinctive male phenotype. I do not have any female flasher wrasses of any species, as in my experience male flashers become aggressive and territorial in the presence of females and harass females, males and other timid fish.
Unexpectedly, these two male flasher wrasses have either paired or for some reason school together. When first introduced they both had their own territories at the two edges of the tank but for the last month or so they are constantly staying together and if one moves other follows it. This is strange considering male and female flasher wrasses do not actuality follow each other. They both occasionally flash at each other similar to the way a they flash at females but there is no chasing.
I now some other fish like tangs sometimes form cross species pairs or friendships (like a yellow tang-foxface pair). But do any of your guys had similar experiences with wrasses?

jmm
06/07/2016, 01:30 PM
It happens with penguins.

Taahirs
06/07/2016, 01:33 PM
Interesting, @tripod1404

jbvdhp
06/07/2016, 02:20 PM
Maybe they're... You know... Homowrassual

Sent using your IP address

d-man
06/07/2016, 03:35 PM
Maybe they're... You know... Homowrassual

Hahahaha

jbvdhp
06/07/2016, 04:25 PM
Hahahaha

Lol

itz frank
06/08/2016, 11:34 AM
I experience this with mine as well. I doubt the behavior is uncommon. They're just swimming together and you're probably over analyzing it.

Tripod1404
06/08/2016, 12:27 PM
I experience this with mine as well. I doubt the behavior is uncommon. They're just swimming together and you're probably over analyzing it.

I agree with you, the way how they treat each other is way different than how they behave near females. I kinda think being alone without any other female wrasses around reduce the males territorial instincts. Without the urge to fight, they might just feel safer when around similar sized fish.

hogfanreefer
06/08/2016, 12:44 PM
I have 4 different male flashers (lineopunctatus, flavianalis, rubricaudalis and attenuatus) in my tank and they are always in close proximity to each other. They display at each other but there is no physical conflict.

bradleyj
06/08/2016, 05:09 PM
I have a total of 8 male flashers in my tank right now. All get along to a degree but there is a pecking order. But no deadly aggression, just flashing which is what we all want anyway.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/tileman/335g/335g%20II/_MG_7880%20copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/tileman/335g/335g%20II/_MG_7585%20copy.jpg

Deinonych
06/09/2016, 10:57 AM
I have a total of 8 male flashers in my tank right now. All get along to a degree but there is a pecking order. But no deadly aggression, just flashing which is what we all want anyway.

Beautiful tank!